[Product Idea] Controlling Phosphates

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share an idea I had on how to control for phosphates in our tanks.

Imagine if we had a calcium reactor type of reactor that had a low powered DC pump that would circulate and fluidize GFO inside. Then you have a continuous doser like the Ecotech Versa to push/pull water into this reactor to more accurately control how fast your phosphates are being pulled out.

In this type of setup, you can use a lot more GFO thatn you would normally be able to in a "old style" reactor. Tank water that the continuous doser puts into the reactor will enter with some amount of phosphate and the output of the reactor will be stripped of phosphate. But with a doser you can be very precise with how much phosphate is removed from your whole tank.

A Versa doser can dose up to 300ml/minute. So if you set it to 50ml/minute, then you would be filtering 0.8 gallons/hour or ~19 gallons/day. This may be slow enough to help you maintain a steady phosphate level. If you feed a ton, then you can just set your continuous doser to dose at a higher rate like 200ml/minute which would help you strip phosphate from your tank at ~3.2gallons/hour or ~76 gallons/day.

Why are we still using old fashion reactors using pumps, whether they be AC or DC powered when we can use continuous dosers to more accurately remove phosphate and be able to control the rate of phosphate removal very precisely instead of trying to rely on DC pump settings / gate valves or similar? You can use a a small recirculating design like a calcium reactor to make sure the GFO doesn't clump so you can still use a low flow rate like 5ml/minute.

Thoughts?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting idea but there is some complexity and expense involved. Maybe you could develop a prototype and if successful, you could then patent and sell it.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so You’re adjusting feed rate, and output, based upon test results? It would seem you would need to test frequently or have it be controlled by some sort of auto testing system that could test for phosphates.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back