profile: Radiata lion

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like showing this guy off, not only because he is beautiful, also because they are a rare find. Rare find in this the sense they usually don't survive long. I really don't know why the medium bodied lions have such a hard time, the antennata being the hardiest of the bunch. They do seem to come in beat up alot of times, I've had many with injuries and parasites. This guy came in healthy and in good physical shape, I didn't even have to treat him for internal parasites.

I've had him now going on 2 years. He came in at 2.5" and now he's going on 7". He is sharing a 90g with the antennata, a zebra, fuzzy, and a rhino. They seem to be slow starters, difficult to feed at 1st, slow to hunt. This is 2nd one I've had that lasted a couple of years, they both started out as slow hunters. While he will eat dead ghosties or a dead molly on a stick, don't count on this guy surviving on a dead diet, or even taking dead at all. I had 3 others die rather quickly, and have never known anyone else being able to keep one. If you find one in good shape and are willing to feed live and maybe even baby him for a while, this is a beautiful fun fish when they mature. After about a year he became bolder and bolder, he is now a very skilled hunter. He is always out and about, and showboats alot when he is hungry,
1652922449787.png
20220518_171939.jpg
20220428_213134.jpg

Last edited:

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is literally THE reason I got into the hobby. First one was never a good eater and stopped accepting even live food after about a month or two. The one I got now is almost 2 years, had a weird blotch discoloring on it's cheak, but went away after a few months. Definitely a passive fish, I need to make sure the other fish eat their potion before they start getting in the radiatas way. Sometimes it eats off a stick, sometimes will catch what swims by if its aware live food is being dropped and sometimes it will do it's lil hunting pose before swallowing the food (dead/live). Took 2-3 month before it would even touch frozen food. Now it gets a mix. Only the harlequin tusk is fast enough to compete, the snowflake eel tries, but never caught anything.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back