Profilux 4 owners

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have decided this is the controller I want to buy. Can current owners just comment on if you like/love/or hate it. And is setup complicated or pretty straightforward? I guess I need something to tip me over the edge to make this big purchase.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love, love, love my Profilux 4! Best purchase I've made for my reef tanks! The setup isn't bad once you get GCC downloaded, wifi connected and fw updated. Those things took me a little bit as I've never done them before on anything. I didn't know anything about it really? They have now made it easier, with a wizard of sorts and there's threads and videos for any questions or issues that come up.

Been over a year since I've owned it and had zero issues with it. I still haven't used the programmable logic, just use the dropdown menus and click boxes to get everything going. Once it's setup, you don't really have to do anything else, it just works! I now have 4 powerbars, 2 kh directors, 2.1 dosers, expansion box and a maxi doser to go along with my profilux. It basically runs everything for me on 2 seperate systems.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replies and glad to hear you guys have been happy with it. It is such a big purchase I just want to be sure I'm making the right decision

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine. Easy to setup no PC required to do the intital setup!! Has quite a few advanced features within the unit and has both a App that works on or off network and a web interface on the unit and a cloud service that the app works through or you can open up the cloud service in your web browser.

I have two more video about to be released on the intital setup of a P4/4e and the features within the app and cloud service :)

You will not be disappointed, it has been rock solid and stable!!

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine. Easy to setup no PC required to do the intital setup!! Has quite a few advanced features within the unit and has both a App that works on or off network and a web interface on the unit and a cloud service that the app works through or you can open up the cloud service in your web browser.

I have two more video about to be released on the intital setup of a P4/4e and the features within the app and cloud service :)

You will not be disappointed, it has been rock solid and stable!!
Awesome can't wait to watch the videos

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i bought the Profilux 4 Mega set. I went without the touch as I can't justify the extra $250 for something i think i won't use to much. Especially with the new App and the fact my phone is always with me. Wonerif somehow you can configure the App to have all those readouts on a tablet and mount that to the tank just for a visual?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just purchased a GHL KH Director and 2 2.1 dosers as well. Can't wait for the goodies to arive.

If you got them from that technyne dude on here that was a great deal! Regardless, congrats! Only issue I've ever had with any GHL products was the blue caps on the dosers wearing and breaking faster than expected. They now have updated blue caps that seem to be much better. I've had a set of new ones now for a couple months and they are great! The new caps have a small dot melted into the cap on the bottom right of the blue cap. About the size of a ballpoint pen. Just something for future reference if needed. On my first GHL 2.1 doser I haven't replaced a single old style cap and it's been running for well over a year. I think it was just hit or miss for a while there, but enough hits for GHL to "fix" it.

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used any other controller and I've only had this one 3 months, but I am happy with my P4, the sensors, the power bar and the software. It isn't the most intuitive software I've ever used right out of the box, but once you watch a few youtube tutorial vids, you'll get the hang of it. Stay away from the sensor holder accessories. They don't work and the GHL support staff refuse to acknowledge or rectify it.

Ming_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up my P4 ultimate around 2 months ago.
I am not a proficient programmer / PC user, nor have I used any aquarium controller before.

I would say it is not difficult to set up, i could resolve all of my issues with a google search or the youtube videos posted by GHL channel. Once you get the hang of it, everything start to make sense. For my tank, took around 5-6 hours on the PC for the setting up of the software including all the account setup, wifi setup, timers, float switch, calibrating the probes, etc. But a good part of it is watching youtube videos in front of my fish tank.

For me, most difficult part of a aquarium controller is the amount of switches, cables / wires and labeling all of them. I underestimated the amount of wires and cables there is to the controller.

One mistake i made was that i did not think about pumps / wavemakers maintenance. So do plan your placement and position of the switches and cables.

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used any other controller and I've only had this one 3 months, but I am happy with my P4, the sensors, the power bar and the software. It isn't the most intuitive software I've ever used right out of the box, but once you watch a few youtube tutorial vids, you'll get the hang of it. Stay away from the sensor holder accessories. They don't work and the GHL support staff refuse to acknowledge or rectify it.

First....GREAT topic/thread. I am currently vacillating between the Apex and the Profilux and think I'm going with the P4. I broke down the price between the two and the entire package, with accessories, are $100 apart which isn't much on either side. Plus I have (4) Mitras on my SPS tank and they are preforming outstanding after switching from 12+ years with MH/T5's.

To that end, can you please expand on your comment in regard to the Sensor Mounts not leaving up to expectations? I ask b/c I not an ATO setup with the new controller and would like to know if GHL's ATO setup is worth it or not? I believe I can use Apex's ATO on the P4 controller???

Any help would be greatly appreciated......thx in advance

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First....GREAT topic/thread. I am currently vacillating between the Apex and the Profilux and think I'm going with the P4. I broke down the price between the two and the entire package, with accessories, are $100 apart which isn't much on either side. Plus I have (4) Mitras on my SPS tank and they are preforming outstanding after switching from 12+ years with MH/T5's.

To that end, can you please expand on your comment in regard to the Sensor Mounts not leaving up to expectations? I ask b/c I not an ATO setup with the new controller and would like to know if GHL's ATO setup is worth it or not? I believe I can use Apex's ATO on the P4 controller???

Any help would be greatly appreciated......thx in advance
The magnets on the ghl sensor mount aren't very strong. The sensor stick moves back and forth pivoting on the magnet. If your sump is thicker it can move around a bit. I just used 2 magnets for my one setup and used a completely different mounting setup for my other system.

Edit - does your user name come from racing rivals?

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnets on the ghl sensor mount aren't very strong. The sensor stick moves back and forth pivoting on the magnet. If your sump is thicker it can move around a bit. I just used 2 magnets for my one setup and used a completely different mounting setup for my other system.

Edit - does your user name come from racing rivals?

Thank you for that information. My sump is custom made out of PVC so the walls are not very thick. As long as it is only a magnet issue, I think I can work around that.

Can't wait to purchase a controller. I've been wanting one for many years and FINALLY have made the decision. Like I mentioned, I'm 99% sure it will be a Profilux 4 Mega kit with ATO accessories.

No, my user name is from my work background. I work in the golf business.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my P4. I don't think it's that hard to setup at all. But you do need to dig into the resource/programming guides along with various other resources to gain a full understand on how the functions work. For example, setting up temperature control. There are calculations that determine the control points, based upon the settings entered. It's not straight forward as just entering a setting of 78.0F +/- 0.5F, with alarm of +/- 1.0F. While the information is in the manuals, I don't think it's entirely clear. I created a thread where I vetted out how the temperature control functions: Temperature Control Setup (Profilux 4).

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the new powerbars coming from GHL. Indicating lights, 6 controllable outlets, and beautifully built!

Powerbar6E-PAB-US_VorneOben_850x385.jpg

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 switchable outlets Whoohoo with a built in GHL led indicator.

I been using the GHL Sensor holders and have had no issues. I am using 2 of them
In my sump. The magnets are quite strong you should have no issues.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back