OP
R

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it. Took awhile for me to get it working consistently. You do have to be very careful how you hook up all the tubing. It also has the only real issue I have with GHL in general, and that is the doser heads need replacement more often than I feel they should. It is a known problem and they keep coming out with improvements so it's not as big a deal as it used to be.

Here's some data going back a few month. You'll see it dropped out twice. Once was because I pulled the sample line out of the tank without realizing it during cleaning. The other was a failed doser head and I didn't have a replacement handy. No harm done on either since it detected the problem, alarmed, and stopped auto control. Just reverted back to my default dosing schedule.
upload_2019-5-11_12-25-54.png
Yeh thus far great reviews am seeing on the director. Worth the investment for sure.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh thus far great reviews am seeing on the director. Worth the investment for sure.
I think it is, but it is a luxury item when it comes to reefing. If budget is an issue for someone there are probably more critical investments to make.

OP
OP
R

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is, but it is a luxury item when it comes to reefing. If budget is an issue for someone there are probably more critical investments to make.
Agreed.
You do not have to automate like that to run a successful reef that's for sure.
I ran reefs for 13 years just the last 4 year started using automation over the last years only, ha ha.
The point in this thread is, IF, you are looking to make such and investment better know where to put you money ha ha

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would even argue that all these automations can be dangerous if you have less experience.
That's one sad part about what this industry has become.
Its less about the fish and coral, more about the equipment and the confusion vendors are pushing to the community to boost sales...but that's a topic for diffrent thread.
I will say this. European reefing methods, reefing equipments and even literature has been high quality, on point and more scientific in its approach...I have seen this trend in their equipment and reefing methods...

Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my kh director(s) and would also recommend purchasing the ultimate package with the touch included and the new 6e powerbar. I also use two maxi dosers to do auto waterchanges on my 2 seperate systems. I am very happy with those as well!

GHL is on a roll releasing new, extremely well engineered and thought out equipment. They have been able to make all of this new equipment backwards compatible with their previous controller as well as stand alone for those that don't own a profilux controller. They don't overpromise and under deliver. They don't hold the attitude that anything they develop people will buy whether it's junk or not, which leads to very well thought out and dependable equipment. They develop this equipment for countries across the globe and release multiple versions at the same time.

Here's a nice little article about GHL and how they came about, for anyone who hasn't seen it...

https://blog.marinedepot.com/2018/08/ghl-dosers-controllers-vinny-altamirano-interview.html

OP
OP
R

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my kh director(s) and would also recommend purchasing the ultimate package with the touch included and the new 6e powerbar. I also use two maxi dosers to do auto waterchanges on my 2 seperate systems. I am very happy with those as well!

GHL is on a roll releasing new, extremely well engineered and thought out equipment. They have been able to make all of this new equipment backwards compatible with their previous controller as well as stand alone for those that don't own a profilux controller. They don't overpromise and under deliver. They don't hold the attitude that anything they develop people will buy whether it's junk or not, which leads to very well thought out and dependable equipment. They develop this equipment for countries across the globe and release multiple versions at the same time.

Here's a nice little article about GHL and how they came about, for anyone who hasn't seen it...

https://blog.marinedepot.com/2018/08/ghl-dosers-controllers-vinny-altamirano-interview.html
Thanks for sharing. The article is nice and only enforced my believe that ghl is better investment...at least for me.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. The article is nice and only enforced my believe that ghl is better investment...at least for me.

Not sure if you have dug into it deep or not but @Ditto has some REALLY good threads on switching from Apex to GHL. As well as some how to videos out there on setting up some of the GHL components:)

OP
OP
R

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you have dug into it deep or not but @Ditto has some REALLY good threads on switching from Apex to GHL. As well as some how to videos out there on setting up some of the GHL components:)
Did not reach that yet. Will look it up for sure. Thanks alot!
Seeing how Neptune addresses their customers when it comes to complaints and seeing how they plane their road map to simply boost sales rather than add value to customers made me realize that it's not worth investing in apex anymore honestly....at least for me..

I remember how I switched from reef keeper to Neptune for that same reason. Reefkeeper releases product that are sub bar. Then when customer call them on it they would give condescending answers or flat out deny. They also had their engineering "VP" come online and lash out at people who complained about things ha ha. Well now they are barley in the market.

I kinda got over the nice plots of fusion which for sure is a nice tool and advanced compared to ghl. But at the end of the day, coral and fish what matters not showing fancy plots and colors.

Ghl seems to be the better option for now and I think they will evolve on the cloud front just like Neptune evolved so am not worried about the app and the cloud tool.
I will try to order the ultimate package today and maybe will also do a journal thread for my transition and share the good and bad on the way.

Super excited..

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH - Thanks for the Comment :)

@Ohashimz - Welcome to the GHL Family you will not disappointed. The community here is very helpful!!

The switching controller thread :)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-controllers-from-apex-to-ghl.316106/ will provide quite a few examples.

The Mods were nice and posted all my videos here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sticky-index-for-programming-controller-videos.73597/

GHL concentrated on the stability and features of the platform. The cloud, and app have been evolving at a record pace and do the job, just as not fancy but my coral, and fish do not care :). You get a true Mobile App, that is not a mobile version of the fusion website on your device. You have the ability to use the app and connect directory to your device or through the cloud. You will not be disappointed once you switch or purchase the P4, if i had to do it all over again I would still would have done the switch out.

OP
OP
R

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH - Thanks for the Comment :)

@Ohashimz - Welcome to the GHL Family you will not disappointed. The community here is very helpful!!

The switching controller thread :)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-controllers-from-apex-to-ghl.316106/ will provide quite a few examples.

The Mods were nice and posted all my videos here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sticky-index-for-programming-controller-videos.73597/

GHL concentrated on the stability and features of the platform. The cloud, and app have been evolving at a record pace and do the job, just as not fancy but my coral, and fish do not care :). You get a true Mobile App, that is not a mobile version of the fusion website on your device. You have the ability to use the app and connect directory to your device or through the cloud. You will not be disappointed once you switch or purchase the P4, if i had to do it all over again I would still would have done the switch out.
Thank you for the follow up. Look like i will be one of GHL freaks...am loving how you guys running this starting from the customer and walk back.
I will do a build and journal thread on my transition.

Thank you!

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use my P2ext on my current system and will be switching to a P4 end this year beginning next year when I switch to a new system.
Reasons, only then with the KHD and IOND will there be hardware that isn't supported by the P2 that makes it worthwhile the switch (potentially impacting the quality of my reef).
The only other reason.... it comes in white and my new system is going to be white as well.
Sure life is going to be a lot easier with the P4 software but untill now that wasn't a reason for me to switch because performance wise the P2 is still rock solid industrial grade, feature rich supported by GHL and competitive (you can still use/get every GHL product for every P2 function and get almost all non GHL product controlled by the P2).
You can expect the same for a P4.

OP
OP
R

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use my P2ext on my current system and will be switching to a P4 end this year beginning next year when I switch to a new system.
Reasons, only then with the KHD and IOND will there be hardware that isn't supported by the P2 that makes it worthwhile the switch (potentially impacting the quality of my reef).
The only other reason.... it comes in white and my new system is going to be white as well.
Sure life is going to be a lot easier with the P4 software but untill now that wasn't a reason for me to switch because performance wise the P2 is still rock solid industrial grade, feature rich supported by GHL and competitive (you can still use/get every GHL product for every P2 function and get almost all non GHL product controlled by the P2).
You can expect the same for a P4.
That's awesome. I do see the trend you described. Their line up and hardware is pretty compact and backward compatible. Even when they release khd user can use it in a stand alone without P4. I like that.
On the other spectrum I have thrown away so many Neptune modules that become obsolete less than a year form buying it. What a waste of investment that was...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from Apex to Profilux about a month ago. I have the P4, Doser 2.1 and the KH Director. I bought the Mitras lights earlier this week. I'm just waiting for them to ship. Hopefully soon.
How do you like the probs performance and how do you like the doser?

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the probs performance and how do you like the doser?
So far everything has been on the money. They give you enough calibration fluid to last for quite a while. The doser has been good. I'm using one of the heads for auto top off so it's getting a workout more so than the other heads so it may have to be replaced at some point. Overall I'm happy with the switch. I was on vacation last week. While in Maui one of my vortechs came loose from the aquarium. I was able to shut it off from 3700 miles away. So I was impressed.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you switch? How are you liking it?
I was looking for something a little more compact. My Apex setup was a spaghetti bowl of wires that I was never happy with. So far I'm very impressed with the GHL equipment. I moved my Apex 2016 to my anemone cube, so it's being used also.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back