Project 220 build upsize to downsize numbers of tanks.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After troubles with the first upgrade tank ( looong story) I finally got the new basement upgrade tank to start this new upgrade build tonight! Had some great help as well! My puffers , all my other fish, and then eventually a large angel will call this home! In the next few days I'll go through the equipment I got with it, see what I have in all, but will go on the same stand I over built for my 125
IMG_20190625_211632.jpg

IMG_20190625_211622.jpg

IMG_20190624_220418.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much progress tonight, but good progress. Found out return plumbing was not glued afterall. Never underestimate the power of salt and detrius over time. I had some extra PVC so I was able to make a second return out of what I had on hand. Need to go to emerald Bay this weekend to get sand, another box of salt, and new bulkheads for good measure. @Eagle_Steve I loved your idea of using the screen kit for a top. How many do you think I need? Also best way to route my 3 powerhead cables and heater controller probe out the back and not make it stick up? That's the next project.

IMG_20190627_201415.jpg
IMG_20190627_201429.jpg

IMG_20190627_201421.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much progress tonight, but good progress. Found out return plumbing was not glued afterall. Never underestimate the power of salt and detrius over time. I had some extra PVC so I was able to make a second return out of what I had on hand. Need to go to emerald Bay this weekend to get sand, another box of salt, and new bulkheads for good measure. @Eagle_Steve I loved your idea of using the screen kit for a top. How many do you think I need? Also best way to route my 3 powerhead cables and heater controller probe out the back and not make it stick up? That's the next project.

IMG_20190627_201415.jpg
IMG_20190627_201429.jpg

IMG_20190627_201421.jpg
I will get you some pics of what I did for the cables. I used my grinder to notch the bottom of the frame. Worked great for the gyre cables.

For the screen kit one of them did my 90, but I had to buy some extra corner connectors. They make a few different kits, so measure the total linear footage of each section and then get a kit or 2 tot total that footage. You will then get additional corner connectors, as each kit comes with 4. Honestly though, with a tank your size, 3 small window frame kits should work out about right and they are like 5 bucks a piece. But again, measure the space to fill and go from there.

Also, if you need more clear screen, let me know. I can drop it off at Emerald tomorrow for ya.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get you some pics of what I did for the cables. I used my grinder to notch the bottom of the frame. Worked great for the gyre cables.

For the screen kit one of them did my 90, but I had to buy some extra corner connectors. They make a few different kits, so measure the total linear footage of each section and then get a kit or 2 tot total that footage. You will then get additional corner connectors, as each kit comes with 4. Honestly though, with a tank your size, 3 small window frame kits should work out about right and they are like 5 bucks a piece. But again, measure the space to fill and go from there.

Also, if you need more clear screen, let me know. I can drop it off at Emerald tomorrow for ya.
I'll give it a measure this morning! And looks like I will, so if you don't mind. Let me know how much you want for it, and I can pay you man :) I'm heading to see Sean before the concert tomorrow anyway

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give it a measure this morning! And looks like I will, so if you don't mind. Let me know how much you want for it, and I can pay you man :) I'm heading to see Sean before the concert tomorrow anyway
No charge. It is sitting in the garage and I have an unopened spool as well, so you are welcome to what’s left of the one I bought for the 90. It should be enough to do 2 of your 3 openings.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No charge. It is sitting in the garage and I have an unopened spool as well, so you are welcome to what’s left of the one I bought for the 90. It should be enough to do 2 of your 3 openings.
Great!! I had very little left from my 90 and wasn't enough to do maybe 1 panel

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also painted the frame black with krylon fusion. Kind of had to anyways, as I notched the bottom side for wires.

If I was to redo it, I would buy some more corner connectors and do a dip in on the screen frame for wires, but notching actually does work well, just have to make sure you get the wire put back exactly perfect after cleaning the pumps.

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made my screens slightly smaller and put a single strip of eggcrate to notch and wire.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also painted the frame black with krylon fusion. Kind of had to anyways, as I notched the bottom side for wires.

If I was to redo it, I would buy some more corner connectors and do a dip in on the screen frame for wires, but notching actually does work well, just have to make sure you get the wire put back exactly perfect after cleaning the pumps.
Thanks sir!! I'll run over at lunch and see what I can find today. I might just do a a 2 part screen and do egg crate along the back area for cords too.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up the Natural aluminum frames as they were on clearance. Ill go grab some Krylon fusion this weekend. By end of the weekend, i should be down to getting a circuit or 2 dropped above the tank for the new build, and making the water, before its time to schedule the big change over. Still got more equipment to go through, see what i have, sell what i can clean up etc. not alot to do, but still time consuming.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a busy couple days. Got some things I just didnt need listed for sale, now the real fun begins. Tank is just about full, and got a gallon or so of vinegar and a few circulating pumps to move water. Time to clean this baby up!'

Still got to go to Walmart get a pool for mixing water, and have a circuit installed for the tank.

Figured out my lights today too. Going to hit up emerald Bay, and pick up a new sb reef 18 basic, then pair it with the 2 16 basics off my 90. Should give me plenty of fish pop and color in the new tank, and get me off the t5 etc.

IMG_20190702_201654.jpg

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a bit late but I have a bunch of extra returns and PVC you can scavenge. I have made dozens of sets and tried lots of different setups for my 180-230gp builds.

Back