Booger McMoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5be173167e78f0d1a7f836cd96781465.jpg
99e4e0c702b75981da81114a89e3698c.jpg

I woke up this morning and watched the tank wake up. As the lights continued to brighten, the tank came alive with activity and I thought to myself, “Self! You need to share this and see if anyone else enjoys watching a tank wake up.”

The tank is a 125g long the wife bought for me to replace my drag racing endeavors (retired from racing). I use a Bubble Magus skimmer and run the Current pumps ( 2 @ 2100 and 1 @ 1050) and lights. It is monitored by an Apex but I have to admit I have been second guessing that purchase. There are features I like such as the ATO but the probes that fall out of calibration so easily leave me disappointed. I originally wanted to do a fish only tank, but my wife saw corals in the lfs. She likes the lps corals because they move a bit so now we have added a few corals. The hammer coral and candy cane coral being her favorite. The youngest daughter picked out the bubble coral and I picked out a small Favia frag.

I did build a RODI system and saltwater mixing station downstairs and use a pump to pump water from there to my tank. I’ll admit I like things easy! The hardest part is wrapping up the hose.

The tank has been a way for my family to have a little fun as now my 10 yr old daughter is quickly becoming a saltwater expert. I believe she has watched all of the BRSTV videos several times over. Her knowledge greatly exceeds my own.

So what to do next? I think I need more rock. I only have 75lbs in the tank. I feel I need more. I have all the fish I want and will be adding more lps corals as I gain more confidence.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave the rock where it is. It looks great.

I really like your setup. I too like things simple.

BTW, I am also a former drag racer (30 years ago). Miss it but find reefs to be a little less expensive and quite a bit less dangerous. LOL.

OP
OP
B

Booger McMoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave the rock where it is. It looks great.

I really like your setup. I too like things simple.

BTW, I am also a former drag racer (30 years ago). Miss it but find reefs to be a little less expensive and quite a bit less dangerous. LOL.

Significantly less dangerous! My two oldest daughters and my wife asked me to quit when my first granddaughter was born five years ago. To be fair, I was racing a turbo Hayabusa (no bars).

I do enjoy all of the data collection from the tank. Data and numbers are my thing and I find it relaxing.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... I love to see “dawn” in my tanks. Some snails go to bed and some wake up. The Wrasse crawls out of bed and the tang and Rabbitfish start working. The Tailspot Blenny sticks her head out and the chromis start chasing each other. Another day begins.

Then I find myself looking at the skimmer to make sure it hasn’t gone crazy. I listen to see if my doser will come on when it’s supposed to. I look at the filter sock to see if it needs changing. I think of what I will feed everyone today and whether I should feed corals/nems today or not. I worry a lot! But I do love those few minutes when the sun is coming up and I can just listen to the water and watch the activity.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Significantly less dangerous! My two oldest daughters and my wife asked me to quit when my first granddaughter was born five years ago. To be fair, I was racing a turbo Hayabusa (no bars).

I do enjoy all of the data collection from the tank. Data and numbers are my thing and I find it relaxing.

Ahh I did mine on 4 wheels 78 Fairmont 327 stroker 413hp/468ft lbs before the two stages of giggle gas were activated. Little car that could. uncorrected 10.9s consistently. 10.6 best. Drove it to work and school. :)

OP
OP
B

Booger McMoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I did mine on 4 wheels 78 Fairmont 327 stroker 413hp/468ft lbs before the two stages of giggle gas were activated. Little car that could. uncorrected 10.9s consistently. 10.6 best. Drove it to work and school. :)

I love cars that just seem to defy convention! My bike was 1297cc (79cu in). Precision 35r turbo with ceramic bearings. 525hp/345 ft lb at 35psi. 318 hp at 12 psi. Ride it to work on Monday’s. The bike only weighed 550 lbs. Scared the bejeezuz out of me every time I pinned it. Lol. 7.80 @ 194 mph with me on it. Should have hade a better ET with that mph but I struggled with the clutch.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunrise is my favourite time to watch the tank as everything comes to life, especially the corals, I find it simply magical

Great looking tank as well and thanks for sharing the pictures with us!

OP
OP
B

Booger McMoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunrise is my favourite time to watch the tank as everything comes to life, especially the corals, I find it simply magical

Great looking tank as well and thanks for sharing the pictures with us!

The corals were something I haven’t been able to observe much. Watching them open up was very interesting. I can’t wait till I get more corals and watch the entire tank come to life and not just the four little corals I have now. Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back