Prolapse on Porcupine Puffer

Jeffc1527

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, it's me again, you may recognize my name as I have been having a lot of fish related bad luck this past week with 1 fish dying and 2 more becoming ill, all-in different tanks.
I was on the forum yesterday and today to get to the bottom of my sick snowflake eel who I suspect has a bacterial infection cause by elevated nitrates in the water. While I have been working constantly to reduce those nitrates, I wanted to bring to light my porcupine pufferfish. She has been looking quite bloated now for about a week. Acting kind of off sometimes ill find her not moving at all, but still acting normal enough to not cause immediate concern and Shes been eating very well. I thought the bloating was due to constipation and I gave her peas one day and then 2 days of fasting and then more peas. That seemed to help as the bloating reduced slightly. This evening however I went to check on the tank and got quite the surprise. It seems as if her rectum or intestines are completely hanging out of her anus. I am unsure how to treat this and I have never heard of this happening before. I was thinking of trying some espon salt but I definitely would like a second opinion.

unnamed.jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone, it's me again, you may recognize my name as I have been having a lot of fish related bad luck this past week with 1 fish dying and 2 more becoming ill, all-in different tanks.
I was on the forum yesterday and today to get to the bottom of my sick snowflake eel who I suspect has a bacterial infection cause by elevated nitrates in the water. While I have been working constantly to reduce those nitrates, I wanted to bring to light my porcupine pufferfish. She has been looking quite bloated now for about a week. Acting kind of off sometimes ill find her not moving at all, but still acting normal enough to not cause immediate concern and Shes been eating very well. I thought the bloating was due to constipation and I gave her peas one day and then 2 days of fasting and then more peas. That seemed to help as the bloating reduced slightly. This evening however I went to check on the tank and got quite the surprise. It seems as if her rectum or intestines are completely hanging out of her anus. I am unsure how to treat this and I have never heard of this happening before. I was thinking of trying some espon salt but I definitely would like a second opinion.

unnamed.jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg
Yikes- likely something stuck in its intestinal tract or infected.
Is fish eating? If so, brine shrimp may work like a laxative but in most cases it needs to retract on its own. Constipation if often a cause and effect. Bladder disease is another cause as is poor diet.
What foods were you feeding and how is fish breathing ?

Peas, spinach and epsom salt remedy does not work.

OP
OP
J

Jeffc1527

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes- likely something stuck in its intestinal tract or infected.
Is fish eating? If so, brine shrimp may work like a laxative but in most cases it needs to retract on its own. Constipation if often a cause and effect. Bladder disease is another cause as is poor diet.
What foods were you feeding and how is fish breathing ?

Peas, spinach and epsom salt remedy does not work.
I have brine shrimp on standby luckily. I feed all of my predator fish a mix of, scallops, clams, shrimp, squid, mysis, and silversides. I switch it up every day. The puffer really only prefers scallops, clams, and Mysis however. Breathing is steady and at a very normal pace, does not seem stressed, has vibrant color, swimming around, and still interested in food

Do you think I should try the brine? Would it be worth moving her to a QT tank with any special water parameters or is it more of a just make sure the water is clean watch for a infection and eventually it'll go away type thing? My snowflake definitely has a bacterial infection and was in the same tank as the puffer. I am starting him on kanaplex tomorrow so Im thinking the same thing may be going on with the puffer. It does seem as if she was making a bowl movement when this occured as you can see poop in the picture, but ive heard a swim bladder bacterial infection which may be the cause for the bloating can also cause constipation, which would cause straining and likely prolapse during the bowl movement

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brine shrimp on standby luckily. I feed all of my predator fish a mix of, scallops, clams, shrimp, squid, mysis, and silversides. I switch it up every day. The puffer really only prefers scallops, clams, and Mysis however. Breathing is steady and at a very normal pace, does not seem stressed, has vibrant color, swimming around, and still interested in food

Do you think I should try the brine? Would it be worth moving her to a QT tank with any special water parameters or is it more of a just make sure the water is clean watch for a infection and eventually it'll go away type thing? My snowflake definitely has a bacterial infection and was in the same tank as the puffer. I am starting him on kanaplex tomorrow so Im thinking the same thing may be going on with the puffer. It does seem as if she was making a bowl movement when this occured as you can see poop in the picture, but ive heard a swim bladder bacterial infection which may be the cause for the bloating can also cause constipation, which would cause straining and likely prolapse during the bowl movement

Oh - sorry to see. If the fish doesn't retract that on its own, the prognosis is not good I'm afraid. Sometimes, internal parasites can cause a fish to prolapse, other times, we just don't know the reason.
Epsom salts in the water won't help (seawater is already a high percentage of magnesium sulfate). Peas is a remedy for fancy goldfish.
If you have a gram scale, you could try to mix up some gelatin diet with 3% Epsom salts - that has a purgative effect for constipation, but I do not know what it will do for a prolapse.
I’ve had veterinarians push the intestines back inside and stitch the opening partially closed to hold it - but that only worked in a few cases.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jeffc1527

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - sorry to see. If the fish doesn't retract that on its own, the prognosis is not good I'm afraid. Sometimes, internal parasites can cause a fish to prolapse, other times, we just don't know the reason.
Epsom salts in the water won't help (seawater is already a high percentage of magnesium sulfate). Peas is a remedy for fancy goldfish.
If you have a gram scale, you could try to mix up some gelatin diet with 3% Epsom salts - that has a purgative effect for constipation, but I do not know what it will do for a prolapse.
I’ve had veterinarians push the intestines back inside and stitch the opening partially closed to hold it - but that only worked in a few cases.

Jay
luckily late last night it went in on its own. I have started the snowflake eel and puffer fish on Kana plex after confirming both of them have bacterial infections from the water ( I got to confirmation from a family friend who is the head vet at the aquarium ). Both seem to be doing better. Puffer is a lot more energetic today and swelling in abdomen has reduced, as for the eel there hasn't been a large change yet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back