Proper dosing of Coppersafe

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got about 10 days left on my current QT with Coppersafe. Test color has stayed pretty consistent thru top-offs and water changes. Once this process is completed I'm going to switch to CP for my next group of fish. My vet willingly wrote me an RX for a 30 gram amount with a couple of refills as well. I presented her with an info package that included a cover letter, info page with links to all the referenced research from Humblefish's article and a link to that article as well. I then printed out both research papers and presented it in a manila folder. she was impressed and shared with me that she used to date a guy in Atlanta who had several reef tanks. Sure that helped my case.
Will have to revisit the Chlorquine Phosphate thread before my next purchase. Looking forward to getting confirmation from Hanna before moving ahead on their checker.

Blackened

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since copper safe's therapeutic range is 1.5-2.0 I'd say you look just fine. Just had my wife, the color expert, look at your pics and she agrees it looks just like the 2.0 sample I tested this morning for my QT.

Would you be able to share info regarding the 1.5-2.0ppm range? I cant seem to find any on the subject. Everywhere I read on chelated copper it says 0.15-2.0 mg. (eg:E.Nogas book ) Is this incorrect - outdated info?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to share info regarding the 1.5-2.0ppm range? I cant seem to find any on the subject. Everywhere I read on chelated copper it says 0.15-2.0 mg. (eg:E.Nogas book ) Is this incorrect - outdated info?
Sure. Look back to post #1 in this thread. Another source for the 1.5-2.0 range comes from Mardel, the original maker of Coppersafe. In the box that comes with the Coppersafe there's a handout that repeats the dosage as "therapeutic range."

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5-2 is for chelated

I believe .25-.5 is ionic. I don't know for certain as I'm limited to chelated for wrasses

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I know:

Chelated copper:
Copper Safe/Copper Power Therapeutic Range of 1.5ppm-2.0ppm (There are also emails directly from Endich, the maker of Copper Power stating therapeutic min. is 1.5ppm)

Ionic Copper
Cupramine Therapeutic Range .35ppm-.5ppm
Curpion Therapuetic Range .2ppm

"Old School" DIY Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate Therapeutic Range .15-.2ppm

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this topic is confusing. The initial post appears to be wrong even after the edits and now apparently the mix of the batches from Fritz has been changed. I made three doses of 0.3ml (which based on the original post would put me around 0.9-1.0 ppm) so far and I'm still waiting for my Hanna Checker. I'm just going to stop because I don't want to overdose. I hate having to wait for stuff. Even with next day shipping with the big three my experience has been it's hit or miss stuff comes in on time. I wish it was available on amazon as they are more reliable. No LFS in town had a Hanna Checker Copper Tester for chealted and only one LFS in town actually had chealted copper!

Disease outbreaks over the weekend + near Christmas suck. I couldn't get Copper Power in time so had to go with this crummy Fritz product. They might as well be an ebay seller with how unreliable the batches are. The Ebay CP sellers are about as reliable as Copper Power :-/.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Copper Power and liking it so far. ;)
I have yet to find a bottle that isn't spot on with dosing yielding expected results. :)

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got copper power now but copper safe is in the tank right now. I wish I could mix them [emoji28].

Anyway, the Hanna checker came in this afternoon so I’m set. Thank you SWA [emoji106]

Omg I hate Fritz this should be 1.25 not this
IMG_3152.JPG

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Same thing happened to me, hence how I found the Hanna checker. @4FordFamily

I’m doing a 40% water change on both QTs tonight. That should reset it to a safe level.

I’m mind blowed right now that they would make such an inconsistent product. I’m fairly certain the Kole tang I lost wasn’t because of ich but because of the poisoning. Usually when fish die of ich or velvet they are breathing very hard. His breathing was calm the whole way through and he just couldn’t swim correctly anymore and quietly passed away in a corner [emoji24]

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got copper power now but copper safe is in the tank right now. I wish I could mix them [emoji28].

Anyway, the Hanna checker came in this afternoon so I’m set. Thank you SWA [emoji106]

You can mix them, as they’re both chelated copper

I’m doing a 40% water change on both QTs tonight. That should reset it to a safe level.

I’m mind blowed right now that they would make such an inconsistent product. I’m fairly certain the Kole tang I lost wasn’t because of ich but because of the poisoning. Usually when fish die of ich or velvet they are breathing very hard. His breathing was calm the whole way through and he just couldn’t swim correctly anymore and quietly passed away in a corner [emoji24]

Sounds like copper poisoning was at least a factor. I avoid coppersafe like the plague. If any readers do wish to or have no choice but to use it, just dose an amount and do a Hanna reading so you know that bottle’s potency. Your next bottle is likely to be very different.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I hate Fritz this should be 1.25 not this
IMG_3152.JPG

I tested my tank with CHEMetrics and I was at 1.57 ppm. I thought I was close to 2.0. Being 0.4 off wasn’t as bad as this, but could mean the difference between therapeutic and healthy fish or dead fish. Glad to see everybody getting the Hanna.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my tank with CHEMetrics and I was at 1.57 ppm. I thought I was close to 2.0. Being 0.4 off wasn’t as bad as this, but could mean the difference between therapeutic and healthy fish or dead fish. Glad to see everybody getting the Hanna.

Back to sanity after a water change. Hopefully, it didn’t too too much damage to the other fish [emoji29]

IMG_0184.JPG

Back