is a 1000 gallon reef tank a good idea or bad idea

• Total voters

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your short, lack of information, answers are feeding the negativity. If you honestly want help and also have your question be taken seriously you should be writing more detail and asking more specific questions. I am no expert in in small or big tanks but its your approach that is setting people off.

All that said there is something to be said about the human will, believing in the under dog, chip on the shoulder attitude that creates amazing things in this world.

Get some!

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cons: massive costs to fully run and maintain a large system. High humidity is a negative too.

Pros: Your little piece of the ocean will be larger than most allowing you to add more fish and more space to grow out corals. Larger the volume usually means a more stable system.
Good luck!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also made thousands of pounds of rock and seeded it with 40-50 pounds. A few
Strategically placed large korrallia power heads have provided the best flow out of any of the other more expensive methods that I have tried
Lets see some pictures - I bet it was interesting....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - to answer another poster - I'm not against this per se - I'm saying the OP maybe should give more detail rather than just 'what are the pros and cons'. Its kind of like going to an aviation site and saying 'Should I be a pilot' without knowing anything about the person. This isnt a criticism against the OP - but I see he/she is already replying to some of the comments somewhat defensively -which were not mean that way- I for one would like to answer your question - but the pros and cons of doing this are almost infinite - depending on your situation, age,income, how long you want to live in your current house, what you want to put in the tank, what you're planning to make the tank with,etc etc etc - any pushback isnt directed at you - its probably directed at how the question was posed

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i wan't to jump staight to the monster tank after a lot of planning and research

Well, in that case.... no offense to the many knowledgeable people here, but for the cost of such an endeavor I probably wouldn’t research and plan for a year or two, and I would just hire an expert to set it up, explain it, and maintain it for the first 6 months or so. After that you should probably have the hang of it, and it would cost very little ($10k or so) for the labor/expertise which will be a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the build.

Running reef after 6 months, that is set up properly sounds better than 2 years of research to me.

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what you can afford. Pro limitless stocking opportunities. Con cost.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst case scenario you can always turn it into a pool, when it doesnt work out!

Martyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned dealing with the humidity a tank that size creates. It can literally destroy a house if not dealt with properly.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned dealing with the humidity a tank that size creates. It can literally destroy a house if not dealt with properly.
do you know how to deal with humidty

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone that has a 1100ish g aquarium in addition to other thing mentioned
Pros : Snorkeling in your living room
Cons: Humidity, I use almost as much energy in the winter handling humidity as I do lighting the tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As someone that has a 1100ish g aquarium in addition to other thing mentioned
Pros : Snorkeling in your living room
Cons: Humidity, I use almost as much energy in the winter handling humidity as I do lighting the tank.
curious where are you located - we have an exhaust system running24/7 - with a dehumidifier - and in the winter its ridiculous

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you know how to deal with humidty
As someone with a swimming pool and a hot tub - I would humbly say - you asked foradvice and your responses seem to suggest that you don't want advice. People are trying to help you here right? Not mess with you - maybe it would help if you took it that way - frankly - you gave little information at all in your OP - concerning your experience - leading at least a couple people to question whether this was a fake post. When questions are asked - maybe it would be nice to respond with an answer - rather than at least from here - perceived anger. I mean what are you expecting ? I'm sorry - In my opinion this is an extremely difficult thread to which to respond -given your total lack of information

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 687 gallons of water at $25 a month electric.
I live in FL and power is most affordable here. A/C runs almost year round so no need for dehumidifier. Technology and equipment have come a long way and it just doesn't have to cost a ridiculous amount of money to run or setup.
I will say my RK5AC skimmer costs a lot compared to most people's skimmers.

Tank and skimmer will be you most expensive items. I'd get a RK8AC skimmer for it and its $2900 and totally what you will need.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back