Pros and cons of urchins

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was planning on ditching the urchin along with the blue cycling fish, but my wife and sister have fallen in love with it. My lfs said get rid of it so I don't get stung doing water changes, but are they worth having if I can keep away from it??
1482068210303.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cons:

You have to take more care when working in the tank so as to avoid the spines. They do not sting but rather the spines break off and can become embedded in tissue.
Urchins will bulldoze corals and have the ability to move unstable rock work.

Pros:

Excellent algae eaters and fascinating animals.

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I don't have any info. But I have been curious the pros and cons of keeping an urchin in a reef tank also. I would like one similar or a pin cushion Urchin. Following to see what fellow reefers experiences are.

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cons:

You have to take more care when working in the tank so as to avoid the spines. They do not sting but rather the spines break off and can become embedded in tissue.

Pros:

So not a great idea if corals are involved?
Thanks

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If corals are glued down they are at less risk of being tumbled by an Urchin. The rock structure should be stable.

My pin cushion urchin was capable of removing and carrying around certain acropora frags, it was always the same frags and it did not matter that I glued them down or used epoxy. My pin cushion also removed my waver maker from the mounting, which was not good, but was caught early before the wave maker was able to spew water out of the tank.

I have only kept long spin urchins in really large FOWLR tanks so they were not as troublesome.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea urchins are incredibly fascinating to me and amazing algae grazers! I've never had the courage to house a long spine urchin, but have kept pincushions, tuxedos and currently have a short spine urchin which I never see since it's nocturnal. When I had the others, I could sit and watch them for hours. So neat.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan on having much for corals, just a few fish and some of what's still alive with the rocks and some anemones.

The system I bought is overgrown with algae, I scrubbed what I could off but still needs work so I'm leaning towards trying to keep the urchin. I spotted at least 2 mini brittle stars in the 10g holding tank along with hermits and snails.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy my urchins. They are cool and great algae grazers. Non fish people seem to like them as much as any coral.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love watching urchins in tanks. They will knock stuff over and move stuff if there not secured real well. They to get a smaller one if possible to be less destructive. I've had shortspine, long spines and pincushions and there all neat to watch. They do eat algae too which is a positive. They will clean the rocks so well that u will see spots of your coralline algae start to disappear if your rocks arnt covered in coral.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cons:

Pros:

Actually I am in error regarding an urchins ability to sting. The Fire Urchin packs a real punch, so much so that I would never keep another.

fire-sea-urchin-asthensoma-varium-puerto-galera-philippines-pacific-bpm4xw.jpg
Not my image.

Y2KReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved my urchin!! Did a great job eating algae and covered a lot of distance per day. The only problem is the pick things up and carry them. I've lost a number of frags because I just could not find them.

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine for over 4 years now. Royal urchin i think is the name of mine. Eats tons of coralline algae and hair algae rarely bulldozes but sometimes picks up things as a "hat" doesnt seem to like heavy things though. And they stay relatively small.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had the long spine urchins. I have a Tuxedo, a Halloween, and a Rock urchin. My tank is spotless with regards to algae. My fuge is a complete mess with algae. I will never have a reef tank w/o an urchin for clean up crew. They are far superior to any other critter for algae cleanup. And yes, I have lots of coralline in my tank.

The Tuxedo is so so as far as cleanup. But he's pretty. The Halloween is worth about 5 Tuxedos, for cleanup. The Rock urchin is nice because he gets into crevices the other urchins can't get into because they are too big.

Unlike the long spine urchins, the ones I have are not an issue with getting stuck. And they are completely reef safe. They only consideration is your corals have to be glued down well. If they are not they could end up on the back of the urchin, being carried around. I never have an issue with that, because I know to glue things down well.

Robert Scott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a long spine urchin for 1 1/2 yrs. Larger tank full of SPS, LPS, Clam...and I been amazed at how nibble he is not bothering anything. Every once in a while I see a coral out of place, maybe from him. If he's in the way of a maintenance task I just give him a light tap and he moves out of the way.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back