Pros and cons of urchins

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a black long spined urchin. Very cool animal and was an algae lawnmower. The spines are very sharp and will break off and fester at the slightest touch. It stuck me one time ! I hear they will eat corals ,never saw that. Only prob was every time I wanted to work on a spot in the tank, there it was. Also all the fishes knew to stay away.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one last week. I think they are awesome. I've got some algae spreading on a couple of rocks (as seen in the pic) and the collector I get my coral from swears by these guys for algae eating. He has a large tub full of them and says whenever they get algae covered live rock they just pop it all in the urchin tank for a week and then it's spotless.

He said they do sting and its hurts a bit of you get stuck by a spine but it's not the worst thing in the world. I can also take it back any time I feel it's too large and swap it for a smaller one so that's a sweet deal. But it's tiny atm so I don't think I'll be looking to swap it out any time soon.

Screenshot_20161216-040958.png

Last edited:

bufettphan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my pink pin cushion, he really helped out with my GHA while I was getting my phosphates under control.

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty great red pencil urchin. They're a great option if you're afraid of spines.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so sure the real issue isn't weather it gets too big but more about is there enough for him to eat.
Nah it's not really about the food, just that they get big and have long spines that get in the way during maintenance. The body is currently the size of my thumbnail and its in a 6x2x2 so I doubt it will run out of food any time soon. Even if it was quite large it should be fine as they also eat coraline algae so even if it takes care of all the GHA there will be a constantly spreading food source for it.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure its been said already but the 120 tank at the school i take care of has one and its the ultimate bulldozer. Make sure your frags are glued down along with everything else. If not its going for a ride! With some urchins everything they touch sticks to them. We only keep it around and put up with it because the kids love it.

GoJimmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved watching my urchin but it kept bulldozing all my aquascape. I got fed up putting everything back together everyday. Got rid of it.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy watching my urchin, he is always into something. Even made a bryopsis issue I had more entertaining than anything...he wore it like a wig! It can be annoying when they latch onto things but you take it away and I generally replace the thing I dont want him to have with something else, like a kid or a dog. 20160711_183407.jpg

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept pincushions, tuxedos, long spine and pencils for years. Never been stung so I can't say if it hurts (and I've handled all of them so I think it's more a matter of being stabbed then stung. If you handle gently it doesn't seem to be a problem). If you cement your rock work, which you should with or without urchins, and glue your corals, they don't do much damage and they keep the tank cleaner than any snail.

Steffan1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a long spined urchin in my reef tank for 4 years, which is full of corals. While it has knocked pieces over from time to time I think it is a truly unique organism and worth the trouble.

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pincushion! He is entertaining and keeps algae under control! I also have a tuxedo, he does a good job on cleaning and is entertianing, but. It as much as the pincushion. The pincushion is great. Theybare in a 72 right now.

Sharkbate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6848.JPG
I have not long added one to my Nem tank , was a little aprehensive at first but got a small short spine ... very cool addition cleans the rock work (of all algae !) and looks amazing ..even found it on the back of my snails cleaning their shell!
Go for it

IMG_6849.JPG

jimo12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to love my urchin but he did destroy some of my newly added corals he just went over them. One day he fell in my catalapheylia and never saw him again. It was really nice&cool to watch him discussing him self with crushed corals. Dont think ill get one again. I might try one of thoes electric scalops

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock borin urchin. I love him, but he doesn't do much in the way of eating algae. Had him for over 2 years in two different tanks. I am thinking about adding a pin cushion

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great info! I moved it in my main tank and it's been on the move ever since. It hasn't made it down to the rocks yet but it's a very active cleaner, glad I asked [emoji106]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back