Prostar aquarium price jumps

Lorono1201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know that excess glass is sitting around in storage. Thousands of tons of it. Some clear, some ultra clear (low iron) , some green (several types), some black, some grey, some blue. Glass is not in a shortage position right now.

It's not a matter of "believing whatever I want", I see it every day.

Dennis

Glass is made of sand and obviously sand is not a scarce resource so to that point obviously there is no shortage. The point is that when there is high demand prices go up, perhaps to cover distribution, processing and the added labor, with current unemployment benefits a lot of workers were reluctant to go back to work... to fixate on what you do at work is unnecessary. My friend has constantly vented about the constant swarm of glass orders and quotes and the delays they have to tell people, as well as glass providing vendors actively increasing prices and delaying orders. I know it may be "hard to believe" for you, and thats okay just keep up the good work and maybe tell your business wherever it may be to bring that glass to florida cause we can use some more competitive prices in glass.

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is made of sand and obviously sand is not a scarce resource so to that point obviously there is no shortage. The point is that when there is high demand prices go up, perhaps to cover distribution, processing and the added labor, with current unemployment benefits a lot of workers were reluctant to go back to work... to fixate on what you do at work is unnecessary. My friend has constantly vented about the constant swarm of glass orders and quotes and the delays they have to tell people, as well as glass providing vendors actively increasing prices and delaying orders. I know it may be "hard to believe" for you, and thats okay just keep up the good work and maybe tell your business wherever it may be to bring that glass to florida cause we can use some more competitive prices in glass.
All sand is not equal and much of the worlds sand cannot be used for glassmaking.

I have not "fixated" at all on what I do at work except for mentioning that when I walk through the warehouse I see hundreds of thousands of tons of glass.

People not going back to work and vendors having shortages does not mean there is a glass shortage. There is a truck driver shortage also and I would guess that would add to the problem.

I have no input into what the company I work at does. They sell glass to whoever buys it.

It's been 4 days since you replied to me, in that time the clear line where I work has produced 1800 tons of glass. I'll say for the last time; there is no glass shortage. Maybe a manmade shortage due to various reasons but no real glass shortage.

Dennis

Lorono1201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sand is not equal and much of the worlds sand cannot be used for glassmaking.

I have not "fixated" at all on what I do at work except for mentioning that when I walk through the warehouse I see hundreds of thousands of tons of glass.

People not going back to work and vendors having shortages does not mean there is a glass shortage. There is a truck driver shortage also and I would guess that would add to the problem.

I have no input into what the company I work at does. They sell glass to whoever buys it.

It's been 4 days since you replied to me, in that time the clear line where I work has produced 1800 tons of glass. I'll say for the last time; there is no glass shortage. Maybe a manmade shortage due to various reasons but no real glass shortage.

Dennis

You are fixated on the word ''glass shortage'' and took it literally for the production of glass itself...

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inflation.

Many raw materials have skyrocketed in price. Many manufacturers scaled down in the pandemic due to wanting to keep inventory low, as no one was purchasing. Now that things are more 'open' - manufacturers need to start up the assembly lines again, and this takes time.

I suspect inflation is here to stay with us for at least the next year or two, possibly longer.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When pandemic restrictions started to ease construction started booming and hence construction supplies sky rocketed. Glass, just like raw steel is not something middle suppliers just have lying around because it needs to be fabricated for intended role.

So. Factories likely have plenty of it, but they can't get it to retail fast enough.

Look what happened to lumber prices. Now there in an impending glut of the stuff. Technically there isn't a shortage but supply chain disruption

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been slowly saving up for a prostar rimless aquarium. I've been checking them for months and the 150g was always $1,700 and the 200g was $2,200. Now the 150 is $2,250 and the 200 is $3,150. Why would they randomly jump the prices so high? Turns me away from getting one now. I'll probably go with a waterbox or something now, bc that's just a crazy price jump.
We live in TX and are having a frameless glass fence installed on our infinity edge of our pool. I wish we had purchased it months ago. It seems glass, especially the star fire/thick stuff, has come up on price.

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are fixated on the word ''glass shortage'' and took it literally for the production of glass itself...
When you write "there is a glass shortage" how would you think people should take it? I would think that "literally" is the way to figure out what a person writes. Just because your friend says there is a shortage doesn't make it so.

You talked about "shower glass" and "home windows", those are made in fabrication factories that purchase raw glass from factories that make it.

We seem to be discussing two different things. You are talking about shower glass (doors I presume) and home windows. If many people don't go back to work at the places that produce shower doors and home windows then there might be a shortage of those products but it's not a glass shortage.

I am talking about "raw glass production" and there is no shortage of that.

Dennis

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When pandemic restrictions started to ease construction started booming and hence construction supplies sky rocketed. Glass, just like raw steel is not something middle suppliers just have lying around because it needs to be fabricated for intended role.

So. Factories likely have plenty of it, but they can't get it to retail fast enough.

Look what happened to lumber prices. Now there in an impending glut of the stuff. Technically there isn't a shortage but supply chain disruption
You are likely correct except for one thing. Factories that produce "raw" glass do not, to my knowledge, get glass to retail. The factories that want it come and get it by truck, railcar, and often ships taking it overseas.

The end result is the same I guess.

Dennis

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems glass, especially the star fire/thick stuff, has come up on price.
A little insight on glassmaking. When a factory is making normal "clear" glass and then transitions to "Starphire, UltraClear, Low Iron" glass they have to crush the glass ribbon for between 4-7 days (I don't remember for certain). When they get in color spec they can start packing. Until then the transition glass is just basically turned to cullet and fed back into the batch at low rates.

All the while during transition nothing is being produced and no profit is being made. It's not surprising that it may go up in price.

The opposite and equal applies when transitioning back to normal "clear" glass. Crushing for days until in color spec and then packing the glass.

Dennis

Lorono1201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you write "there is a glass shortage" how would you think people should take it? I would think that "literally" is the way to figure out what a person writes. Just because your friend says there is a shortage doesn't make it so.

You talked about "shower glass" and "home windows", those are made in fabrication factories that purchase raw glass from factories that make it.

We seem to be discussing two different things. You are talking about shower glass (doors I presume) and home windows. If many people don't go back to work at the places that produce shower doors and home windows then there might be a shortage of those products but it's not a glass shortage.

I am talking about "raw glass production" and there is no shortage of that.

Dennis

The topic of this thread is about the prostar aquarium price hikes. I literally just spoke to the guys from proclear a couple weeks ago and was sharing that info along with real world knowledge I know about the processing time and price increases in a related industry. No one in the related industry was laid off as the government deemed them essential. The ''DEMAND'' for glass has increase significantly. If the supply is plentiful for the increase in demand but the process to reach the destination is a restriction point that is bottle necking the supply to the demand, could you see what type of shortage is created? This is why I say you are ''fixated'' because in the end of the day your comments do not contribute to the topic of why prostar aquarium prices are going up.

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The topic of this thread is about the prostar aquarium price hikes. I literally just spoke to the guys from proclear a couple weeks ago and was sharing that info along with real world knowledge I know about the processing time and price increases in a related industry. No one in the related industry was laid off as the government deemed them essential. The ''DEMAND'' for glass has increase significantly. If the supply is plentiful for the increase in demand but the process to reach the destination is a restriction point that is bottle necking the supply to the demand, could you see what type of shortage is created? This is why I say you are ''fixated'' because in the end of the day your comments do not contribute to the topic of why prostar aquarium prices are going up.
You "literally" spoke to Proclear? Is there another way?

I'm not interested in the thread topic, I can read and I'm not in the market. Nothing I write can lower the price of Proclear aquariums.

I replied to posts#11 and #12 where someone posted that he heard there is a glass shortage and then you confirmed it for him. You were both wrong.

I'm happy to see that you are finally in total agreement with me that there is no glass shortage.

Dennis

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back