OP
Shorebreak

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider the ULR phosphorus test kit from Hanna. A bit more accurate than the Salifert in my opinion and no guessing on shades of blue.
Thanks, I just picked up the Hanna Alk and like it a lot over the titration. Was thinking of moving to their other kits too. I like not having to interpolate between colors.

Never had such clean water, havent seen anything bad happen yet though. I do have a weird dusting of brown algea, but it is light. I have been dosing amino and trace back. Don't really want to dose nitrate or phosphate. I've just fed more for now.

I'm ok with keeping it low while the tank matures more. The rock came from my old 150 that was crashed and neglected. Tested nitrates and phosphate on that before the transfer, nitrates were in 40s and phosphates were higher too. It had a nasty hair aglea problem. Was worried the rock may have absorbed nutrients. Not the case.

I do have a good amount of various algea in my fuge, but I have seen it even grey out some the last week.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the Alk by Hanna as well. I use those two. Everything else I use the Saliferts. I have Red Sea as well but it seems like extra steps for me with the Industrial handle and injectors. Maybe it's just me and and my old eyes. To me less is more.
As far as your reading go be careful as you start getting into more demanding corals. I actually had a very honest reefer tell me to get some phosphates and Nitrates in my tank. I've since cut out the GFO and I'm feeding heavier. My nitrates are at 4 ppm and my Phos 0.04. Corals seem to like it and are growing well.

Remember the #1 rule... Go slow

Good luck and enjoy your holiday

OP
OP
Shorebreak

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted my DOS with a quick fabricated bracket from lowes, works well mounted to aluminum stand. Hopefully left room for another level of dosing if needed. Time to program and run tubing.

Attachments

• 20201231_142122.jpg
    20201231_142122.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
Shorebreak

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome. Enjoy it. Let us know how you like the DOS. I've been reading a bit about it. I'm kinda old schood and enjoy spilling reagants on my keyboard. LOL
I really like the DOS, with the Apex its so easy to setup and adjust. I was a bit confused when I plugged it in, it just started to run one of the heads. Turns out the button is supper sensitive. Once I figured that out its been smooth sailing. I'm only using it for ALK right now, with adding KALK in some top off, the calcium is met, its kind of on the high end actually. May change and use the 2nd channel for adding the kalk instead of top of to stabilize it. With winter temp swings my evaporation rate is fluctuating more than usual.

OP
OP
Shorebreak

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed some salt creep near the drain lines, this is the side I have my controller and other electronics so I wanted to minimize this effect. I added a sponge to keep all the microbubbles from fizzing out the top. So far so good.

Attachments

• 20210109_135153.jpg
    20210109_135153.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
Shorebreak

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the other monti @Shorebreak...those darn nudis are really resilient once their established, if you have some. When we talked about it that's what it sounded like to me.

If you wanna check the tank for the new frags sake, here's some photos of what you're lookin for. There are a few different species, but most of the nudis themselves as well as their eggs either look like tiny white snowflakes, or tiny white clumps of cavier.

I've heard of hobbyists and professionals having success with taking a toothbrush to the adults and the eggs. If it's a more delicate monti, you can try a Waterpik turned down all the way (picture attached). It's nice because you can easily control the pressure on the coral with the pressure dial and how far away the nozzle is away from the coral. They also come with nozzles that make different flow patterns, and one is a toothbrush attachment so best of both.

The hosing that the pik comes with isn't very long (I can get 3 ft out of the one I use if I really stretch it), so may need to get a bit creative. If you do decide to go with a Waterpik, make sure to use tank water to not mess up levels. I wouldn't expect the pik to last forever because it's saltwater, but if it's the difference between prized montis perishing or surviving, I'd say it's worth it.

Hope this helps in the battle, let us know how the progress goes.
Thanks for the advice, so far I haven't seen any new pests and the montipora I have all look good and are entrusting. I may have dodged a bullet.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed some salt creep near the drain lines, this is the side I have my controller and other electronics so I wanted to minimize this effect. I added a sponge to keep all the microbubbles from fizzing out the top. So far so good.
that's a good idea, think I may try that on my sump. Thanks

OP
OP
Shorebreak

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I'd definately look into dosing kalk with it and get rid of the milk jug on top of that awesome tank. LOL
I switched the ICECAP KALK Stirrer to dose through the DOS instead of the ATK as I was hoping to normalize the doses. instead of it running constant with the ATK as large dose, more smaller doses through the day.

its not working as well as I had hoped. The DOS has a hard time pushing though the stirrer with its amount of back pressure. I was surprised. It runs a few times with nothing, then builds and finally flows out more as a stream. Wondering if I have a bad head, as I have read the DOS should have a good amount of lift. I have checked to see if line is clogging, and it is open. just has the back pressure from feeding at bottom of the stirrer.

No more milk jugs though, haha

OP
OP
Shorebreak

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mated pair of clown fish, who well over a year ago stopped spawning, are happy again in their new home and spawning. Was wondering if they would start again. Caught them going at it yesterday.

Here are some top down photos. The larger female was placing the eggs, (the small red dots) and the male was dancing over them.

Attachments

• 20210221_143115.jpg
    20210221_143115.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210221_143118.jpg
    20210221_143118.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210221_143120.jpg
    20210221_143120.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 54

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched the ICECAP KALK Stirrer to dose through the DOS instead of the ATK as I was hoping to normalize the doses. instead of it running constant with the ATK as large dose, more smaller doses through the day.

its not working as well as I had hoped. The DOS has a hard time pushing though the stirrer with its amount of back pressure. I was surprised. It runs a few times with nothing, then builds and finally flows out more as a stream. Wondering if I have a bad head, as I have read the DOS should have a good amount of lift. I have checked to see if line is clogging, and it is open. just has the back pressure from feeding at bottom of the stirrer.

No more milk jugs though, haha
I use a Bubblemagus and keep it at a relatively equal height to my sump and it doesn't seem to struggle at all. I'm sure the DOS is much more capable.
Two thumbs up for you getting rid of the milk jug! LOL

OP
OP
Shorebreak

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while, so here is an update with some photos. I have added 2 new fish, a Yellow Coris Wrasse and a red flame Hawkfish. I did loose 4 Chromis, I assume they are bullying each other, but I haven't noticed it. randomly there will be one less. Abut a month ago I started to get coralline growth forming every where so I have added a bunch of frags, a COCO worm and a Maxima Clam. Most frags I have purchased are encrusting so that is great, although I have lost a few, had a birdsnest that just turned white, but batting pretty good right now. My small hammer frag has split. I thought it was unhappy for a month, but looks good as two heads now. I have had some cyano that dusts the rocks, but it comes off pretty easy and hasn't affected any coral. Added a microscope to my reefing tools to make sure I knew what algae I was dealing with, very helpful with R2R members helping me along the way. I haven't seen any Monti eating Nudis in 2 months and with the new wrasse I hope I never do again.

Attachments

• 20210401_110332.jpg
    20210401_110332.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210401_110354.jpg
    20210401_110354.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210401_110145.jpg
    20210401_110145.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210401_110105.jpg
    20210401_110105.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210401_105931.jpg
    20210401_105931.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210401_105947.jpg
    20210401_105947.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210401_110022.jpg
    20210401_110022.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210401_105642.jpg
    20210401_105642.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210401_110007.jpg
    20210401_110007.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 39

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while, so here is an update with some photos. I have added 2 new fish, a Yellow Coris Wrasse and a red flame Hawkfish. I did loose 4 Chromis, I assume they are bullying each other, but I haven't noticed it. randomly there will be one less. Abut a month ago I started to get coralline growth forming every where so I have added a bunch of frags, a COCO worm and a Maxima Clam. Most frags I have purchased are encrusting so that is great, although I have lost a few, had a birdsnest that just turned white, but batting pretty good right now. My small hammer frag has split. I thought it was unhappy for a month, but looks good as two heads now. I have had some cyano that dusts the rocks, but it comes off pretty easy and hasn't affected any coral. Added a microscope to my reefing tools to make sure I knew what algae I was dealing with, very helpful with R2R members helping me along the way. I haven't seen any Monti eating Nudis in 2 months and with the new wrasse I hope I never do again.
nice polyp extension! Looks good.

JayPnoy12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Has anyone have the Peninsula style of this type of tank. If anyone can see some picture plz. Thank You!

Always,

Jay

OP
OP
Shorebreak

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Has anyone have the Peninsula style of this type of tank. If anyone can see some picture plz. Thank You!

Always,

Jay
I haven't seen one in person, sorry. I think there may be a build thread with one though, I think I remember seeing it when as researching mine.

JayPnoy12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Thinking of getting a 200 peninsula also. Thanks for the update
@BoneDoc let me know when you got your 200 Peninsula style as I was planning on getting that too. I have not got it yet cause still waiting for the room to build. When you get chance take a lot of picture especially the overflow and under the overflow plz and thank you in advance. Looking forward to see it.

Always,

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back