Protecting my aquarium from construction debris

Mike Yaniz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I will be doing some construction on my home (replacing the floors) and would like to know what measures should i take to protect my tank and friends inside. Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be great. I know to cover it but was worried about it getting hot and things like that. I do not have a chiller (do not really have space for one) and my temp is stable at 77-80F. Thanks.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I will be doing some construction on my home (replacing the floors) and would like to know what measures should i take to protect my tank and friends inside. Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be great. I know to cover it but was worried about it getting hot and things like that. I do not have a chiller (do not really have space for one) and my temp is stable at 77-80F. Thanks.
I normally don't like running GAC, but I would consider it in your situation. Don't cover it tightly, you need the air exchange and heat removal.

Be very careful with any chemicals used in putting down the new flooring.

OP
OP
Mike Yaniz

Mike Yaniz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Drew. GAC? general air conditioning? meaning to leave my a/c on during the construction and then just clean out my vents?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Drew. GAC? general air conditioning? meaning to leave my a/c on during the construction and then just clean out my vents?
Sorry, GAC is short for Granular Activated Carbon.

This should help absorb any chemical contaminants that may enter your system if any debris does fall in or if chemicals get into your water.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u are gluing the floors down u are in trouble. Turn off skimmer and have a lot of fans. Did a lot of damage to both of my tanks.

OP
OP
Mike Yaniz

Mike Yaniz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys. as far as carbon i always run one month on one month off. but in this case i will be running it at all times. Thanks drew.
and as far as glueing the floors it is more of concrete not glue.
but thanks for the help.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys. as far as carbon i always run one month on one month off. but in this case i will be running it at all times. Thanks drew.
and as far as glueing the floors it is more of concrete not glue.
but thanks for the help.
Glad to help. And if you want to run the flooring products you plan to use by us we may be able to provide better guidance.

As a general rule of thumb, anything with a solvent or sealant can be very bad for a tank. Keep an eye out for cloudy water. Its a sign of a bacteria bloom (alcohol in solvents feed bacteria) and can quickly reduce oxygen content to dangerous levels.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back