Protein skimmer and ph

Madimod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a larger protein skimmer help with my low ph ? Right now I’m running a Aquamaxx fc80 on my RSR 250 . If so what size should I look for ?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can help with low ph. Depends on how much Co2 is in the airin the tank room. Some people attach a tube to the air intake to bring in fresh air for outside.
What do think is low ph?

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Icecap K1 nano to a 10g AIO. Went from 7.6 to 7.99 almost instantly. Going to run a line to the window tomorrow see if it will raise a little more.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might help, if currently there's not enough gas exchange for CO2 to reach equilibrium with your room air. Take a water sample and test the pH, then aerate indoors near your tank with an airstone. If the pH goes up, then that means more gas exchange might help and a bigger skimmer might (or might not) help with that. If the pH does not go up, then extra gas exchange won't make a difference either way.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a fuge . Will that help at all ?

A refugium with photosynthesizing organisms will tend to raise pH when it is lit since they are consuming CO2. :)

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might help, if currently there's not enough gas exchange for CO2 to reach equilibrium with your room air. Take a water sample and test the pH, then aerate indoors near your tank with an airstone. If the pH goes up, then that means more gas exchange might help and a bigger skimmer might (or might not) help with that. If the pH does not go up, then extra gas exchange won't make a difference either way.

I think you meant "Take a water sample and test the pH, then aerate outdoors in fresh air with an airstone. If the pH goes up, then that means more gas exchange might help"

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you meant "Take a water sample and test the pH, then aerate outdoors in fresh air with an airstone. If the pH goes up, then that means more gas exchange might help"
No, I meant aerate indoors. The question was about creating more gas exchange by using a bigger skimmer. All that's going to do is mix in more indoor air. So if aerating the sample with indoor air does not raise the pH, then letting the skimmer do it probably isn't going to raise pH either.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I meant aerate indoors. The question was about creating more gas exchange by using a bigger skimmer. All that's going to do is mix in more indoor air. So if aerating the sample with indoor air does not raise the pH, then letting the skimmer do it probably isn't going to raise pH either.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The full aeration test uses both indoor and outdoor air:

The Aeration Test

Some of the possible causes of low pH listed above require an effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure its pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. Its pH should rise if it is unusually low for the measured alkalinity (Figure 2). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If its pH also rises, then the aquarium’s pH will rise simply with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise in the cup (or rises very little) when aerating with indoor air, then that air likely contains excess CO2, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should). Be careful implementing this test if the outside aeration test results in a large temperature change (more than 5°C or 10°F), because such changes alone impact pH measurements.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ran a line from my Red Sea rsk300 directly from the Venturi 10mm hose through the wall to fresh air. By doing this my ph went from 8-8.2 to 8.2-8.4 I haven’t seen any solid results yet but the ph has never dropped below 8.2.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back