protein skimmer and refugiums

lifsvr187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, new to the group, I currently have a 150G with live rock and no corals. I am using canister filters and HOB skimmer. I want to switch to a under tank sump/refugium. I rather not spend the money on a new skimmer. It was suggested that I could use my HOB for it, I just wanted to confirm this. If anyone else currently has this setup could you post pics? TIA.

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could still use your HOB skimmer. Either leave it on the display tank or if you water level in the sump allows you could just hang it on the sump. IME HOB skimmer are not as effective as in sump skimmer BTW.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hob to me is a poor filter sock. Proper size skimmer to your waste and not tank water is way more effective. Also the sump I recommend filter socks. I would say it’s your waste load and what you want as fish on how you want a sump.

Fuge, filter socks, skimmer are great ways to remove waste. Filter socks if left in tank breaks waste so changing them sooner for heavy stock tanks and later if light stock. Skimmer always pulls out. Fuge are great and great way for live foods. Also fuge help with ph I have pair of mandarins and tank full of pod eating wrasse so fuge is need to remove waste and place for pods to populate. Macro uses trace elements coral need so you do need to replenish trace elements.
I use fuge filter socks and skimmer but feed a lot in a day.
Also rollers can be an option.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back