Protein skimmer foaming

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

My protein skimmer has been foaming out of the cup for over a week now. Even when there is minimal liquid in the collection cup. I have tried skimming wetter to see if that will take care of it but it has not. Only thing I do that would change how it runs is a use no3po4x daily. Any thoughts as to why?
60e9285331d72753c3b26d1b25313b06.jpg

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't you adjust so it doesn't bubble up so high? Just set it so the bubbles only go up to middle of neck? They then should only occasional spill over.
It appears to me its just a matter of adjusting, Its skimming much to wet...should be accumulating dark green in the cup. (not see through)

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the skimmer been running ? How old is your system? Is this a new occurrence or has it been on going for some time? Any recent changes to the system? Dosing anything different? Different food? Have you recently used any products like chemiclean or any king of epoxy ??

Sorry for all the questions but there is probably a logical reason for it.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the skimmer been running ? How old is your system? Is this a new occurrence or has it been on going for some time? Any recent changes to the system? Dosing anything different? Different food? Have you recently used any products like chemiclean or any king of epoxy ??

Sorry for all the questions but there is probably a logical reason for it.
Yes,
When I see this the first thing I ask is. Having you been pudding in corals?

Could Nopox have enough effect to kick in a skimmer like that?

OP
OP
Mr_Banana_Pants

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer has been running for 5-6 months, this is a new issue. Been using no3po4x for 2 months, over 1 month without an issue... no corals or anything else added

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer has been running for 5-6 months, this is a new issue. Been using no3po4x for 2 months, over 1 month without an issue... no corals or anything else added
Have you checked your air venturi lately to see if it's got salt build up in it?

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox can cause that. Have you increased the rate of dosage of NoPox recently?
What, if anything, did you do right before this started? Ex: change filter socks, add / replace / regenerate any media? Clean anything?

OP
OP
Mr_Banana_Pants

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only recent change was going from HOB filter to a canister with uv (it's a FOWLR tank)... no increase in no3po4x

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can foam from different things in your water. For instance some use vinegar in freshwater to test skimmers (nopox is vinegar and alcohol). Also when I change filterfloss in my powerfilter, I have to turn off my skimmer, otherwise foam runs out like yours (prewashing your filterfloss can solve this problem). What filter media are you using in your canister filter?

OP
OP
Mr_Banana_Pants

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can foam from different things in your water. For instance some use vinegar in freshwater to test skimmers (nopox is vinegar and alcohol). Also when I change filterfloss in my powerfilter, I have to turn off my skimmer, otherwise foam runs out like yours (prewashing your filterfloss can solve this problem). What filter media are you using in your canister filter?
I cut some filter floss from a large sheet, so that might be the culprit... I also removed all the bio filter media and replaced it with marine pure bio Balls... much more surface area for bacteria... also placed carbon in a bag in the canister

OP
OP
Mr_Banana_Pants

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I gave the skimmer a complete clean today. Used some Dawn dish soap inside and really cleaned it all out... after running for a couple hours it seems to be doing okay. No foam pushing out the top. We shall see how it is come morning

OP
OP
Mr_Banana_Pants

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this morning the skimmer has already begun to foam over... I don't think it's the carbon dosing because I do it in my frag tank with no issue. Gonna do a major water change tomorrow and see what happens

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar issue, but I just started carbon dosing, so I know it is because of the carbon-dosing.
Because of very high nitrates, I am now dosing alcohol-vinegar-sugar mix in the morning and separate tablespoon of sugar in evening.

Foaming is a result of that and will have to endure until nitrates are more as I would like them. So I think the carbon dosing can be influencing here as well, with a little delay since bacteria-population takes some time to grow.

OP
OP
Mr_Banana_Pants

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar issue, but I just started carbon dosing, so I know it is because of the carbon-dosing.
Because of very high nitrates, I am now dosing alcohol-vinegar-sugar mix in the morning and separate tablespoon of sugar in evening.

Foaming is a result of that and will have to endure until nitrates are more as I would like them. So I think the carbon dosing can be influencing here as well, with a little delay since bacteria-population takes some time to grow.
But what confuses me is that I had been carbon dosing for a month before this began [emoji53]

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mr_Banana_Pants
Is that an air intake line or a cup drainer in the picture.

If it's not a air intake then how does your skimmer draw air into the venturi?

OP
OP
Mr_Banana_Pants

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mr_Banana_Pants
Is that an air intake line or a cup drainer in the picture.

If it's not a air intake then how does your skimmer draw air into the venturi?

The hose on the left is a cup drainer, the hose in the front going across is am air intake... I used a longer hose because it was connected to a co2 scrubber at one point

Back