Protein Skimmer Going Crazy After Chemiclean

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just went through a round of chemiclean to battle some cyano. First off, let me say that I'm blown away with how that worked. I did 1 treatment, and it's completely gone. Might do a second treatment if I see anything creep back, but 1 treatment and it's gone.

Here's my question. My skimmer is going wild. I did a 20% water change 2 days ago, and left the cup off the skimmer to let it keep running. Then yesterday I did a 5% water change by attaching a hose to the skimmer cup and letting it drain into a bucket, and then replenish with fresh salt water. It hasn't helped at all. I also raised the skimmer about 1/2 an inch, which again, has done nothing. Anyone have any tips or ideas on how to get the skimmer back to normal? I am also running UV and carbon in a reactor like the instructions say, and no clear improvement at all after 3 days.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is completely normal. If your skimmer is adjustable - put it on the lower setting and increase gradually until it settles down. If it's not adjustable - raise it a little higher and same process. Within a week it should all be back to normal.

Back