Protein Skimmer help/suggestions

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125 gallon tank. Been set up since August of 2021.

Ammonia: 0
PH: 8.1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

I’ve kept a light bioload - 2 clownfish, 8 green chromis, and a cleaner shrimp. So I figured I could get by without a protein skimmer; weekly water changes and a fuge would keep the water clean.

I recently put a yellow tang and a blue hippo - both juveniles - into the tank this week. So I’m thinking I may need a protein skimmer with the extra food and fish waste.

The problem is that I really don’t have room for a skimmer anywhere. Below the tank is taken completely up by the sump. There really is no room in the sump for a skimmer. And since the tank is a peninsula viewable on both sides, a hang on back isn’t really an option.

I though maybe putting a skimmer in the fuge area may be an option, but there are height limitations I would need to contend with.

So my questions are:

Do I need a skimmer? Or can I still get away with water changes and refugium.

If I do need a skimmer, any suggestions?

Pictures of the tank and area around it:
E64AC34F-5F0F-4B11-B3AA-D36452A681C7.jpeg

083CFAFF-B86A-4DB5-8AA8-6BF88CC2C800.jpeg

A4893E7C-F5C8-4357-8EF1-AE60E64001B0.jpeg

50CB22BA-057E-40C0-98C2-631BF48B8706.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is, no, you don't "need" a skimmer. Since you have the space limitations you mentioned, I suggest you monitor your nutrients and proceed from there. If your nitrates and phosphates don't start rising significantly, you should be fine.

Have you considered using a hang on back skimmer on the sump?

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is, no, you don't "need" a skimmer. Since you have the space limitations you mentioned, I suggest you monitor your nutrients and proceed from there. If your nitrates and phosphates don't start rising significantly, you should be fine.

Have you considered using a hang on back skimmer on the sump?

I thought about the HOB option on the sump. Space may still be the limiting factor, but I haven't investigated the HOB option enough to be sure.

edit: And I'm not sure if they make an HOB option for a tank my size.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Erin as far as you may not need one. I would run without it and see how things go. I have a skimmer on my 180 but to be honest it doesn't really pull a lot and I have quite a few larger fish.

On another note how long have you have the chromis? I tried 7 at once on two seperate occasions and both times I ended up with 1.

Dang I just looked at the images and those are some nice big chromis. I may have to give them another try now that the tank is a little bigger and been running for a few years.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note how long have you have the chromis? I tried 7 at once on two seperate occasions and both times I ended up with 1.
Chromis have been in the tank since 10/5/21. All 8 have survived over a year, but there is one that is now missing his caudal fins, and another missing his dorsal fins.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit: And I'm not sure if they make an HOB option for a tank my size.
You have no skimmer at all right now, so even adding an undersized one will help if you decide you need the extra filtration.

Back