Protein skimmer issues

shambles789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I hate asking for help but I have been scouring the internet and I cant seem to find a solution to my protein skimmer. I bought a Reef Octopus Classic 110 Space Saver Protein Skimmer off of amazon a couple months ago and I haven't been able to get it to stop overflowing. Like it doesn't matter what the water level or what setting you put it at it just overflows and fills the collection cup immediately. I was finally able to get it to skim a little bit for a couple weeks by blocking off the air silencer completely but when i do that it produces an insane amount of micro bubbles and fills my entire tank with them. I've owned skimmers before and never had an issue like this before with them. Does anyone else own this skimmer or maybe the bigger 150 and had the same issues? I've reached out to Reef octopus but to no avail. Right now i have it sitting in 7" of water but i have experimented all the way from 6"-9" and none of it seems to make a difference. The only part of the assembly i was unsure of is on the top cap there are two small plastic tubes that come out of it but the instructions dont specify if you need to attach them to the hose coming out of the venturi or leave them open but i have tried both ways and neither way makes a difference. any help would be greatly appreciated!
here is a hyperlink to the skimmer. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef...aj24HLppp_eiSPXLU6aRH8pGmuEPnYE8aAlhEEALw_wcB

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I hate asking for help but I have been scouring the internet and I cant seem to find a solution to my protein skimmer. I bought a Reef Octopus Classic 110 Space Saver Protein Skimmer off of amazon a couple months ago and I haven't been able to get it to stop overflowing. Like it doesn't matter what the water level or what setting you put it at it just overflows and fills the collection cup immediately. I was finally able to get it to skim a little bit for a couple weeks by blocking off the air silencer completely but when i do that it produces an insane amount of micro bubbles and fills my entire tank with them. I've owned skimmers before and never had an issue like this before with them. Does anyone else own this skimmer or maybe the bigger 150 and had the same issues? I've reached out to Reef octopus but to no avail. Right now i have it sitting in 7" of water but i have experimented all the way from 6"-9" and none of it seems to make a difference. The only part of the assembly i was unsure of is on the top cap there are two small plastic tubes that come out of it but the instructions dont specify if you need to attach them to the hose coming out of the venturi or leave them open but i have tried both ways and neither way makes a difference. any help would be greatly appreciated!
here is a hyperlink to the skimmer. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef...aj24HLppp_eiSPXLU6aRH8pGmuEPnYE8aAlhEEALw_wcB

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with your protein skimmer. Please email our support staff at [email protected] so we can issue a trouble ticket and solve your skimmer issues. That model is one of our best-selling skimmers and, in fact, is one of our best-sellers across all categories. I am sure we can help! I apologize once again for your frustration in the meantime.

OP
OP
S

shambles789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - welcome to R2R!!! @Carlos@CoralVue can probably get you dialed in very quickly, but in the mean time I would suggest that you raise the skimmer even higher in the water.

#reefoctopus @CoralVue @Jeff@CoralVue
Thank you for for that! I will raise it up higher when I get home tonight and let it sit overnight. I did try it in the kitchen sink where the water level was just barely higher than the bubble chamber and it seemed to be working but the recommended water height was 7-8" so i was trying to stay close to that. Thank you for your help!

OP
OP
S

shambles789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with your protein skimmer. Please email our support staff at [email protected] so we can issue a trouble ticket and solve your skimmer issues. That model is one of our best-selling skimmers and, in fact, is one of our best-sellers across all categories. I am sure we can help! I apologize once again for your frustration in the meantime.
I've already submitted a trouble ticket on your website, would you like me to email again or wait a couple more days? Yeah i saw it had really good reviews but i always seem to have the worst luck when it comes to stuff like this. Hopefully its a simple solution!

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already submitted a trouble ticket on your website, would you like me to email again or wait a couple more days? Yeah i saw it had really good reviews but i always seem to have the worst luck when it comes to stuff like this. Hopefully its a simple solution!

No, that won't be necessary. Do you have your ticket #, by chance? Our support staff is not on the clock at the moment, but I am able to look up your ticket. I can follow up with them to help grease the wheels, so to speak. My personal email address is [email protected] if you want to keep it handy for now or in the future.

OP
OP
S

shambles789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that won't be necessary. Do you have your ticket #, by chance? Our support staff is not on the clock at the moment, but I am able to look up your ticket. I can follow up with them to help grease the wheels, so to speak. My personal email address is [email protected] if you want to keep it handy for now or in the future.
Sorry for the late response it turns out Carlos had responded but the email went into my spam folder. We have come to the conclusion that there are still too many chemicals and other junk in the water and thats what is causing it to overflow. He recommended 20% water changes weekly for a month and then try again. Thank you all for your help it is greatly appreciated!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back