Protien skimmer for euro tank

Austin J Vatalaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am just wondering what my options are for a protien skimmer on a euro braced tank. I am not able to hang anything on the tank because it doesn't have a spot to sit as it is glass supporting the walls. I dont have a sump either :/

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
You may very well be able to use Deltec MCE series skimmers. I use the MCE 601 rated for 160 Gallons and man can it pull gunk!!

My aquarium design like yours did not involve a sump. So I got myself the what I would like to think is one of the best HOB skimmers on the market.

Deltec skimmers skim like champs, are built like rocks, quiet like whispers, and time-tested over decades. ... none of this is an exaggeration. These skimmers are also ozone compatibile and some of them (like mine have a built in chamber for carbon).

As an alternative you can get the Tunze 9012 or some such. They are in-tank skimmers and have rave reviews.

My non-bacterial filtration is:
  1. Skimmer: Deltec MCE 601 (run with Rox Carbon)
  2. In-tank filter: Tunze 3168 (run with Filter Pads, the GFO chamber is empty at the moment)
  3. In-tank Algae Scrubber: Santa Monica Drop 1.6x.
Overall, I am fairly happy with the filtration capacity of my setup and will be glad to discuss any of them if you are curious.

Good luck and happy reefing!

Have you ever had aquarium equipment damaged by livestock?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • NO

Votes: 39 75.0%
  • Maybe now that you mention it

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.9%
Copepods