Prozipro Fish sensitivity

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering treatment with prozipro. I tried searching for answers on here but couldn’t find anything. I have the following fish in temp holding.

Grey Bamboo Shark
Spotted Moray Eel
Yellow Stingray
Unicorn Tang
Sailfin Tang
Blueline Grouper
Lion fish
Maroon Clown
Bicolor Foxface

Trying to figure out if prozipro is safe with all of these fish as they share the same water within a system.

I recently lost a porcupine puffer that went off feed and the day before he passed I observed cloudy eyes on him so that makes me suspicious of flukes. The lion is the issue now, it was went off food for about a week now. No cloudy eyes or other symptoms but he has always been a very aggressive eater.

I would prefer to treat the entire system as long as the Parzipro normally wouldn’t be a problem for any of the species within the system.

@lion king @Jay Hemdal

#fis#fishmedic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Considering treatment with prozipro. I tried searching for answers on here but couldn’t find anything. I have the following fish in temp holding.

Grey Bamboo Shark
Spotted Moray Eel
Yellow Stingray
Unicorn Tang
Sailfin Tang
Blueline Grouper
Lion fish
Maroon Clown
Bicolor Foxface

Trying to figure out if prozipro is safe with all of these fish as they share the same water within a system.

I recently lost a porcupine puffer that went off feed and the day before he passed I observed cloudy eyes on him so that makes me suspicious of flukes. The lion is the issue now, it was went off food for about a week now. No cloudy eyes or other symptoms but he has always been a very aggressive eater.

I would prefer to treat the entire system as long as the Parzipro normally wouldn’t be a problem for any of the species within the system.

@lion king @Jay Hemdal

#fis#fishmedic
I recommend treatment separate from bamboo shark however if tank is fish only, you can use General cure with shark.
As for flukes- what led you to believe flukes?
Praziquantel will reduce both appetite and oxygen and if using - Increase oxygen with airstone and maintain good water quality
Cloudy eyes can be related wo water quality, bacterial issue or eye injury if one eye cloudy

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is safe for lions and most fish that I am aware of, the only issues I have ever seen, usually comes from an overdose. You must dose to water volume not tank size, so displacement must be considered. If you didn't calculate actual water volume when initially filling the tank, a careful estimation is not that difficult. If internal parasites is suspected or a possibility, prazipro is limiting and general cure is a better choice, prazipro is the best choice for flukes. Both internal parasites and flukes can be similar in observation, a lion will many times swim at the surface and into the flow with flukes, while you may see stringy poo with internal parasites but not always, both can deter appetite.

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend treatment separate from bamboo shark however if tank is fish only, you can use General cure with shark.
As for flukes- what led you to believe flukes?
Praziquantel will reduce both appetite and oxygen and if using - Increase oxygen with airstone and maintain good water quality
Cloudy eyes can be related wo water quality, bacterial issue or eye injury if one eye cloudy

The puffer went off food and developed cloudiness in both eyes rapidly and passed. Shortly afterward the lion has went off food as well. I know flukes can cause the cloudiness in the eyes as well as going off food. Lion has refused all food, from shrimp, scallops, tuna, salmon, silversides, etc. He has always either tong feed or hand and was probably the most aggressive eater in the system. All the fish are in temporary holding in about 375 gallons of water, GC is very expensive to treat that amount of water vs prozipro was the reasoning behind this.

I am going to FW dip the Lion to see if there are any indications of flukes or improvements after the dip.

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is safe for lions and most fish that I am aware of, the only issues I have ever seen, usually comes from an overdose. You must dose to water volume not tank size, so displacement must be considered. If you didn't calculate actual water volume when initially filling the tank, a careful estimation is not that difficult. If internal parasites is suspected or a possibility, prazipro is limiting and general cure is a better choice, prazipro is the best choice for flukes. Both internal parasites and flukes can be similar in observation, a lion will many times swim at the surface and into the flow with flukes, while you may see stringy poo with internal parasites but not always, both can deter appetite.

He is acting completely normal either then not eating for about a week and a half now. Swims around, doesn’t “float” at the surface or any odd behaviors. Body appears to be in good condition.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The puffer went off food and developed cloudiness in both eyes rapidly and passed. Shortly afterward the lion has went off food as well. I know flukes can cause the cloudiness in the eyes as well as going off food. Lion has refused all food, from shrimp, scallops, tuna, salmon, silversides, etc. He has always either tong feed or hand and was probably the most aggressive eater in the system. All the fish are in temporary holding in about 375 gallons of water, GC is very expensive to treat that amount of water vs prozipro was the reasoning behind this.

I am going to FE dip the Lion to see if there are any indications of flukes or improvements after the dip.
Flukes can cause cloudy etes but so can elevated ammonia, bacterial issue high salinity as examples.
Some signs of flukes are gills will be red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Grey Bamboo Shark
Spotted Moray Eel
Yellow Stingray
Unicorn Tang
Sailfin Tang
Blueline Grouper
Lion fish
Maroon Clown
Bicolor Foxface

@lion king @Jay Hemdal

#fis#fishmedic

There really are not any fish that are sensitive to a properly done praziquantel treatment. However, prazipro contains a glycol solvent. That can serve as a carbon source for heterotrophic bacteria, and such a bloom can strip oxygen from the water. You need to aerate the tank well (not just circulate).

I read that you have interconnected tanks on a system? Dosing praziquantel in that case is a bit more complicated. First, you need to dose on the "net volume" of all the tanks, including any sumps, but subtracting any displacement from rocks, etc. Second, prazi does not dissolve well in water, it forms more of a suspension. Depending on how you have the tanks connected, it may not travel well between tanks, so you need to add a proportional dose to each tank.

Finally, the timing on this treatment is important - the bottle is wrong. You need to dose it once, then 8 days later, dose it a second time. this kills off any new flukes that may have hatched from eggs. However, a third treatment is very often required.

Jay

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check ammonia level.
image.jpg

Picked up a new test just to make sure, API tests are all that is available to me locally. But I don’t believe ammonia is the issue. We are now at two weeks off feed

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FC41B003-57FF-4031-B2E6-4656760120E3.jpeg
4C962BCD-9199-4D68-8C80-D536E3C612E3.jpeg

Im not noticing anything jumping out at me body wise. Happily swimming around his holding tank. Doesn’t appear to have fast or laborious hull movement. Offered live damsels to attempt to get him to eat. Showed no interest

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Picked up a new test just to make sure, API tests are all that is available to me locally. But I don’t believe ammonia is the issue. We are now at two weeks off feed

You say the fish hadn’t eaten for two weeks - Flukes don’t typically put fish off feed until very near the end of the infection.

Can you post a video of the fish?
Are any other fish showing symptoms?

Jay

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the lion. Have you offered live marine fish before. Could this be internal parasites, which would be treated with general cure. Lions can come in eating and I've seen it take 2-3 weeks for the internal parasites to take hold and them to go of eating. Feeding any marine fish would present a vehicle for a number of issues. If you haven't seen stringy poo, you can sometimes long around the bottom of the tank and see what looks like shredded white plastic ribbon.

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the lion. Have you offered live marine fish before. Could this be internal parasites, which would be treated with general cure. Lions can come in eating and I've seen it take 2-3 weeks for the internal parasites to take hold and them to go of eating. Feeding any marine fish would present a vehicle for a number of issues. If you haven't seen stringy poo, you can sometimes long around the bottom of the tank and see what looks like shredded white plastic ribbon.

I have had him roughly 6 months. I have never feed live to him and neither did his previous owners to my knowledge. He normally eats a variety of frozen mainly scallops, salmon, silverside, shrimp, or tuna randomly selected for nutritional variety. I usually feed 2-3 times per week. He will normally hand feed or tong with no problem. I only offered live today just to attempt to get him to eat. I haven’t noticed any stingy pop or anything else for that matter other than not eating

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend against running a course of general cure just as a precaution? I don’t believe that any of the fish in the system are sensitive to it. There are a few hermits and a frag or two of GSP and leathers. The corals could be move to my nano during the treatment

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had him roughly 6 months. I have never feed live to him and neither did his previous owners to my knowledge. He normally eats a variety of frozen mainly scallops, salmon, silverside, shrimp, or tuna randomly selected for nutritional variety. I usually feed 2-3 times per week. He will normally hand feed or tong with no problem. I only offered live today just to attempt to get him to eat. I haven’t noticed any stingy pop or anything else for that matter other than not eating

Lions can be tricky and mysterious when they go off feeding. If you went through the possibility of disease and water quality checks out, then it is just a guessing game. If you haven;t fed live food then it isn't internal parasites. You mentioned he wasn't displaying the obvious symptoms of flukes. As Jay stated, flukes wouldn't effect eating until the end, the same would go for protozoan diseases, and it wouldn't take 2 weeks. Is your mg level at least at reef level, if it's a digestive issue, mg does help with digestion. Honestly when lions mysteriously go of eating with no real evidence of anything out of the norm, it comes down to a pre existing condition that could include exposure to toxins. Which would include treatment with copper, antibiotics; exposure to tank cleaners like vibrant, chemiclean, etc.; as well as any chemical pest eradicators. There is no remedy to effects that may be caused by toxic exposure.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend against running a course of general cure just as a precaution? I don’t believe that any of the fish in the system are sensitive to it. There are a few hermits and a frag or two of GSP and leathers. The corals could be move to my nano during the treatment

If he has been eating for 6 months and you have not fed him live marine fish, it is very unlikely he would have internal parasites or anything that I can see would warrant treatment with general cure.

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lions can be tricky and mysterious when they go off feeding. If you went through the possibility of disease and water quality checks out, then it is just a guessing game. If you haven;t fed live food then it isn't internal parasites. You mentioned he wasn't displaying the obvious symptoms of flukes. As Jay stated, flukes wouldn't effect eating until the end, the same would go for protozoan diseases, and it wouldn't take 2 weeks. Is your mg level at least at reef level, if it's a digestive issue, mg does help with digestion. Honestly when lions mysteriously go of eating with no real evidence of anything out of the norm, it comes down to a pre existing condition that could include exposure to toxins. Which would include treatment with copper, antibiotics; exposure to tank cleaners like vibrant, chemiclean, etc.; as well as any chemical pest eradicators. There is no remedy to effects that may be caused by toxic exposure.
He hasn’t been exposed to anything known. I guess I’ll just watch him and hope for the best

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal All the other fish are happily eat like pigs and no abnormal behavior

Video didn’t seem to load on here. I uploaded it to YouTube.

Thanks - I always hope that I'll get some clues from a video, but there is not much to go on here. The fish appears a bit thin, and I can see some discoloration on its back?

If the tank has no invertebrates in it, or if they can be moved out, you could try General Cure.

I saw that you've had the fish for 6 months, but that somebody else owned it before you? How long did they have it?

Jay

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king @Jay Hemdal

New development. He wouldn’t cooperate for better photos but both his eyes are beginning to cloud. I can’t find any meds locally. I could have GC here Saturday from Amazon, local store only has enough to treat about a 1/2 dose that I could get today
9C0EA3F2-DA2A-4C1E-9E50-71736E008B39.jpeg
97909F65-A21A-485D-BD04-C477F26A0BA5.jpeg
5B6D48EB-2099-43EF-BACE-9CFF60160D57.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back