Pry tool for frag removal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JCOLE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2018
Messages
4,218
Reaction score
10,592
Location
Charlotte, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a good recommendation for something to help assist with the removal of some frags? I am going to overhaul my tank in a week and have a good bit of corals to remove. I have removed them by hand a lot of times. However, All plugs are glued with expoxy and I would like to work easier with this amount of corals.

Looking for a screwdriver or something similar to help pry that is reef safe. Worried about residual oils, etc that could cause harm.
 
Does anyone have a good recommendation for something to help assist with the removal of some frags? I am going to overhaul my tank in a week and have a good bit of corals to remove. I have removed them by hand a lot of times. However, All plugs are glued with expoxy and I would like to work easier with this amount of corals.

Looking for a screwdriver or something similar to help pry that is reef safe. Worried about residual oils, etc that could cause harm.
I would use a cutter/bone cutter - or even tin-snips
 
When a coral needs to get dealt with:

4D5D214F-3FA4-46DB-A55C-32CF047E966B.jpeg
 
I go to Harbor Freight and buy the cheapest set of wood chisels they have. Usually $5-$6 for a set of 4 or 5, ranging from 3/4" wide up to 1-1/2" wide.
Great tools to have around that are cheap and disposable. ( I do clean them up with a file and my bench grinder )
 
Go to your local head shop and look at the dab tools. I have about 8 different ones that I feel are a must have for a reefers toolbox. They are also surgical stainless and only cost a couple bucks each.
 
Wax carving tools. Can get a set on Amazon for $10 or less. They are great for fragging all kinds of corals. The paddle ends work well for Zoas and GSP mats. Pointed flat blade ends work for encrusted Monti and frag plugs. They are SS and very durable.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new