PSA Don't Throw Your Frozen Food in the Bag with your Frags

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been a long day. I grabbed a glitterbomb goni for $150 and a pink goni for $50 after work today. I threw it in a bag and then remembered that I needed some Rods. I purchased it too and threw it in the same bag. I drove home for 30min and when I pulled the frags out of the bag to float, I realized my mistake. I don't think that they are going to make it. Man I feel dumb! Here's the before and after on the glitterbomb..
Screenshot_20240118_215556_Facebook.jpg
20240118_193855.jpg
20240118_193953.jpg

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS will purposely bag them separately. I have set them together on the seat and immediately went "OH you dumby!" Didn't think it would be so drastic.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He doesn't bag. He sits them in a basket and it's up to you to bag them if you want to. Most people bring coolers in. That's a pic of both of them. They are probably both goners. He's got more and may hook me up. I've spent a ton of cash there over the last decade.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
He doesn't bag. He sits them in a basket and it's up to you to bag them if you want to. Most people bring coolers in. That's a pic of both of them. They are probably both goners. He's got more and may hook me up. I've spent a ton of cash there over the last decade.
top seems very salvageable. second may bounce back with some luck and TLC

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would be more surprised if they DIDN'T make it. How was water temp in the bags when you opened them up?

Generally speaking, most corals can tolerate getting quite cold as long as it isn't for a long period of time. It's excessive heat that can become a problem quickly.

As long as they didn't turn into literal ice cubes in transit, I think you will be pleasantly surprised in the next day or two.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more surprised if they DIDN'T make it. How was water temp in the bags when you opened them up?

Generally speaking, most corals can tolerate getting quite cold as long as it isn't for a long period of time. It's excessive heat that can become a problem quickly.

As long as they didn't turn into literal ice cubes in transit, I think you will be pleasantly surprised in the next day or two.
This!

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

What I am worried about is shock. They were sitting next to an ice pack for 30min. The knot was tied tight so I threw them in the sump and hoped for the best. I let them float for two hours and those pics are the end result. I just checked on them. It looks like they are trying to wake up. This is good news!
20240118_222208.jpg

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What I am worried about is shock. They were sitting next to an ice pack for 30min. The knot was tied tight so I threw them in the sump and hoped for the best. I let them float for two hours and those pics are the end result. I just checked on them. It looks like they are trying to wake up. This is good news!
20240118_222208.jpg

I really think they will be fine. Did the LFS happen to mention when that second one was fragged? It looks pretty fresh. That's not necessarily a big deal, but if there is going to be a problem it will likely be with that one. Still, I wouldn't be overly worried about them if they were my my frags. Even though it's an obvious fresh cut, it looked perfectly healthy in the picture you posted initially. Should be alright.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really think they will be fine. Did the LFS happen to mention when that second one was fragged? It looks pretty fresh. That's not necessarily a big deal, but if there is going to be a problem it will likely be with that one. Still, I wouldn't be overly worried about them if they were my my frags. Even though it's an obvious fresh cut, it looked perfectly healthy in the picture you posted initially. Should be alright.
He didn't mention when it was cut but it did come from his supplier. The first thing that I noticed was how clean the plugs were so I assume they were freshly cut. I do believe that one was cut yesterday. He had a big Colony of the pink for $200 and I said I wish that I had a few friends to chip in on it. Then he pointed me towards the 4 smaller frags that he had so he probably just cut half a huge Colony to make 4 more frags.

They didn't look much different this morning but the lights weren't on yet. I'm hoping for the best thanks to you guys! I appreciate the reassurance.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like they will make it for sure!

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it some time and I think they will be fine. I had a coral shipment delivered once in the winter and the heat pack got messed up. The water in the bags was 50 degrees. I had a bunch of torches, acans, montis and birdsnest and they looked completely white and dead. I left them in my tank for a few weeks and they slowly came back.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back