Psychotic clownfish: adding tankmates?

Should I add another clownfish, just cause I want to? And maybe for babies? :)

• Ya!

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • NO!

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an absolutely crazy clownfish, who bites/slaps/headbutts literally anything that comes into her tank, whether it be me, new corals, rocks, equipment, and especially fish. Needless to say this is currently a one-fish tank.
Really want to add another clownfish and definitely clean up crew, maybe an urchin even. Right now I moved her to a 5 gallon due to an isopod scare. Is now a good time to add another clownfish?

P.S.: This fish is a medium size ocellaris.

5B07914C-5A11-40CE-A004-B14B556441B6.jpeg
DC176B68-1E18-4026-BF59-74021CB15057.jpeg 273E6AC1-D954-45B1-B323-657A315FFF05.jpeg

ReeferNtraining

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add another Ocellaris, you have to be sure the new one is much smaller than yours. You didn’t say how long you’ve had your Oci, but from the pics I’m assuming she’s female and a year or two old. She will dominate and remain female. If you add a much smaller Oci, it should be male and submit to her quickly. They will do a sideways “clicking” at each other during the dom/sub phase. Yours will remain boss...

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always try an acclimation box to see how she reacts to the new clown; how long has she been solo?

I bought her from my LFS, an employee had her in a completely empty quarantine tank for about a year, which was most of her life. Idk why. But when she added another damsel they fought like cats and dogs: leading to Bob (now Bobby) being sold to me for $30 after half an hour in the store’s display tank :)

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add another Ocellaris, you have to be sure the new one is much smaller than yours. You didn’t say how long you’ve had your Oci, but from the pics I’m assuming she’s female and a year or two old. She will dominate and remain female. If you add a much smaller Oci, it should be male and submit to her quickly. They will do a sideways “clicking” at each other during the dom/sub phase. Yours will remain boss...

I have had her for about two or three months at least, not quite sure. I just replied to another person with her little backstory lol. I believe she is about one and a half years old, so you are right on the money.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might try moving rocks around and add them at the same time.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is doable, but will be tough in a 5 gallon tank. Once the isopod scare is over you can get a much smaller one in your DT (hopefully bigger than a 20 gallon) and get him eating. After a week I would add this female and keep fingers crossed.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the other stuff.... definitely add an Urchin. I would get a Halloween Urchin personally..... even a psychotic clown won’t mess with an urchin

ReeferNtraining

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had her for about two or three months at least, not quite sure. I just replied to another person with her little backstory lol. I believe she is about one and a half years old, so you are right on the money.
Poor thing. I’d be angry as hell if I didn’t have a nice home for a year of my life too. She’s angry cuz she’s cramped, in my opinion. If you get a smaller Oci and take her from QT and add them both to your “forever home” tank, they should get along great!

ReeferNtraining

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention, blue damsels are devil spawn! Lol. I’d be more surprised if they didn’t fight!

Poor thing. I’d be angry as hell if I didn’t have a nice home for a year of my life too. She’s angry cuz she’s cramped, in my opinion. If you get a smaller Oci and take her from QT and add them both to your “forever home” tank, they should get along great!

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is doable, but will be tough in a 5 gallon tank. Once the isopod scare is over you can get a much smaller one in your DT (hopefully bigger than a 20 gallon) and get him eating. After a week I would add this female and keep fingers crossed.

Oh, she’s lived in the 20 tall for her time with me! I just put her in the five gallon two days ago. I think for a fact Bobby Bones would eat another clownfish in a five gallon, lol, so my new dude will be getting used to the twenty until I think I can get her in.
Of course my new guy won’t be coming home until I’m sure there’s no isopods. I kinda have a phobia of them and I also have OCD so sometimes I just freak out and evacuate the tank.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the other stuff.... definitely add an Urchin. I would get a Halloween Urchin personally..... even a psychotic clown won’t mess with an urchin

Thanks! I think they’re really cool when they pick up stuff and wear it like armor lol

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are social! Yes, get another. More than two doesn't make sense unless you have a large tank but I have a pair of clownfish and they rarely are more than a few inches apart. ALL clownfish are a bit psychotic in their behavior but they are harmless. Other than occasionally trying to steal food from corals I have never seen any problems with them. Your clownfish is clearly stressed by being alone.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are social! Yes, get another. More than two doesn't make sense unless you have a large tank but I have a pair of clownfish and they rarely are more than a few inches apart. ALL clownfish are a bit psychotic in their behavior but they are harmless. Other than occasionally trying to steal food from corals I have never seen any problems with them. Your clownfish is clearly stressed by being alone.

Thanks! :)

Back