PTSD treatment tank

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copied from another forum. So if I have dates or suck they might be a little off.

Well first off I would like to start a thread about my tank build that I'm going to build. But a little back ground on me. I guess I'm going to name my tank the PTSD treatment tank. I am a Army combat vet. I was in the infantry and served in Iraq a couple of times. I have a 40 breeder right now that I watch more then my TV.
Now onto the tank. I ordered a Deep Sea Aquatics 190 gallon pro. I have been looking at all of the different tanks and looking and trying to figure out what one or style would work best for me. The DSA had everything that I wanted and the price was good. While looking at tanks I planned on going with a steel frame stand for my tank. Then covering it with a wood skin. I talked to one company that builds tanks and stands and got a quote from them. At first I was thinking that it was a really good deal. A steel stand and then having it powder coated for $1100. But I guess I got a wild hair up my butt and thought about checking out a few other places. Then on my way home from the LFS I though that I should stop and talk to a local metal fabrication shop that is next to my house. He asked me to the size and what color of the powder coat that I would like on it. He worked up a price for me right there and said $413 for everything. Well I gave him the money and he said it would be done in 7-10 days.
So I guess as soon as I start getting everything I will start this crazy build. I'm looking forward to this and can't wait until I can sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor of getting my little part of the sea in my living room. I will be asking tons of questions and will be posting pictures as things goes. So I guess the next part is planning equipment to get ordered or on the list of things that I need to order.

The tank as it sat in my garage.

Attachments

• 20130928_184506.jpg
    20130928_184506.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 163

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you specified it has to be perfectly level.

I'm high-functioning autistic, and my tank helps me too. ♡

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now onto putting it into place and getting it up and going.

Attachments

• 20131013_141144.jpg
    20131013_141144.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 20131014_165804.jpg
    20131014_165804.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 185
OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the equipment that I have for it is the following.
Sump: Elite Aquatics sump with built in CA reactor
Return Pump: Reef Octopus DC 10500
Skimmer: Skimz DC203 Monster
Power heads: Jebeo wp40 times 2
150 pounds of Dry Pukani rock
150 pounds of Fiji pink sand

Here is what it looks like as I was filling it up.

Attachments

• 20131103_135141.jpg
    20131103_135141.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 183
OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now the tank has been running for almost 3 months with nothing in it just a very long cycle. I am waiting for the guy that is building the skin for my tank to finish it up. I hope its done this weekend. His 3 weeks have turned into almost 3 months. As soon as I get that from him I can make the move over and take everything out of my 40 breeder and move it into this tank. I had to do some playing around with the plumbing on this tank. The tank I have now sounds like I have a waterfall going in my living room all the time. I wanted this tank and quiet as I could. When I first set up the drains I had the classic waterfall sounds. But with some playing around it is dead quiet. I call it my getto herbie overflow.

Attachments

• 20131027_145506.jpg
    20131027_145506.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 174
OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you specified it has to be perfectly level.

I'm high-functioning autistic, and my tank helps me too. ♡

It is level as level can be. When I placed my tank on the stand and done a freshwater test on it I had a level on it the entire time. I was moving it all over just to make sure it was. Not a single shim was needed. I think this was a first for me.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is level as level can be. When I placed my tank on the stand and done a freshwater test on it I had a level on it the entire time. I was moving it all over just to make sure it was. Not a single shim was needed. I think this was a first for me.

Glad to hear it! :)
I think I shall follow this build.

TheSaint216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a pretty sweet sump. I make steel for a living in a high stress environment and this Hobby is my Zen, it helps me zone out and not have a care in the world. Good luck and Thank you for your Service.

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I guess I should have added light on here. For right now I am going to go with ReefBreeders Photon 48. I know some will say that its underpowered for a tank this size but I figured I would give it a shot. The tank is 60" x 27" x 27" so I should be able to get enough light to where it needs to go. I plan on having SPS at the top and LPS on the bottom.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice stand and setup.
This makes me think about my dad. He served multiple tours in Vietnam and has PTSD from it amongst other things. He has issues with nightmares but is fine through out the day. I guess carrying a radio on your back makes people shoot at you all the time.

I think I might build him a small setup maybe a 45gallon all in one. IT might be something for him to escape to in his man cave.

Following

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that radio is a big flag pole that says hey look at me I am someone that can call in backup and make you have a really bad day. So yep your the first one they like to pop a shot at.

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking nice, great start on the new build. I'm a fellow OEF Vet and when I got back home my saltwater aquarium hobby became my therapy too. I saw Elite Aquatics was selling a sump just like that a few months ago and I thought that was one of the coolest setups for limited space! Good luck with the build.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would say so. He has to purple hearts. He doesn't talk about it and I don't ask. I figure if he wants to talk about it he will. The only way you would know is that he got a Purple Heart license plate.

Also I'm considering the reefspectrum P47's from reefledlights.com they use the new creeXT-E 10watt LED's and are binned. A few guys here at R2R have them and love them.

Badfish83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your service. My father was a green beret in vietnam who suffered PTSD. Many people don't realize how it can affect someone's life. I'm glad you found something that can ease it. Tank looks great so far, and I love the aquascape. Definitely following.

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to take some updated pictures tomorrow. General that is the sump that I have. I got that one that was posted on here. I always laugh because the sump on this tank is almost twice the size of my 40 breeder.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back