Public Service Reminder: Keep All Reef Chemicals Away From Children

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use a lot of hazardous chemicals in reefkeeping. These include

acids (e.g., muriatic acid, vinegar, alk test kit titrants)
bases (e.g., sodium hydroxide and carbonate, calcium hydroxide, sodium silicate solution)
heavy metals (for dosing or in certain test kits)
solvents (organic carbon dosing, PVC primers, adhesives, etc.)

In addition to keeping yourself safe, be sure to keep these in a fashion that children cannot access them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely true - and Pets. (I doubt my 20 something will go for them - but my Bassett hound loves to lick and smell everything. This is a really good point @Randy Holmes-Farley

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
several people keep 35% peroxide in the home for power reef jobs, pool use etc

even though I knew to be using eye protection with it, several years back I wasn't/agreed to pour carefully, and one tiny droplet splashed up and landed on my face under my eye and burned a white spot faster than I could wipe it off, which then hurt for two hours. if that was a cornea: fried like an egg not to be undone

I'm not even sure 35% should be kept in a home at all with kids around. if you use it, lock it in a gun safe or dump it out when done with the job, instant blinding agent. best gha saw on the planet though/reason for use (direct on target, not dosed into water)

that it's sold otc is shocking to me. it should have ten label warnings about instant blindness. I spilled a few drops on formica, thick / quality counter formica, and it quickly bubbled it up/ruined/amazing stuff I think its seriously dangerous. bleach didn't do that to my formica and I routinely get straight bleach on my hands without much fanfare during deep scrubs bathroom etc. 35% is rough rough stuff

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
several people keep 35% peroxide in the home for power reef jobs, pool use etc

even though I knew to be using eye protection with it, several years back I wasn't/agreed to pour carefully, and one tiny droplet splashed up and landed on my face under my eye and burned a white spot faster than I could wipe it off, which then hurt for two hours. if that was a cornea: fried like an egg not to be undone

I'm not even sure 35% should be kept in a home at all with kids around. if you use it, lock it in a gun safe or dump it out when done with the job, instant blinding agent. best gha saw on the planet though/reason for use (direct on target, not dosed into water)

that it's sold otc is shocking to me. it should have ten label warnings about instant blindness. I spilled a few drops on formica, thick / quality counter formica, and it quickly bubbled it up/ruined/amazing stuff I think its seriously dangerous. bleach didn't do that to my formica and I routinely get straight bleach on my hands without much fanfare during deep scrubs bathroom etc. 35% is rough rough stuff
For those that do keep H2O2 - it should be kept refrigerated - which prolongs its shelf life - but also prevents access to children.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 67 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 61 27.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%

Back