Puffer and blenny?

bolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to put a very small Toby puffer (leopard or Valentini) in a 20 gallon. Only for a year and then will be moving and upgrading. Would it be possible to get a blenny as well? I hear mixed reviews on Blennies in 20 gallons, I know 30 is usually the minimum recommendation.

Thanks!

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to put a very small Toby puffer (leopard or Valentini) in a 20 gallon. Only for a year and then will be moving and upgrading. Would it be possible to get a blenny as well? I hear mixed reviews on Blennies in 20 gallons, I know 30 is usually the minimum recommendation.

Thanks!
Should be fine. Monitor for aggression.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

I wouldn't see it as a huge issue for 1 year if they're the only 2 fish. I'd actually worry more about the blenny. Several species are actually ideal for tanks 20 gallons or smaller (tailspot, two spot, barnacle, etc.), but larger species need a bit more room and could get stressed in a small space with a notorious nipper. I'd also try to add the blenny first so it can stake out its territory on its own terms. If you add the puffer first, you run the risk of the combination of the blenny's natural shyness and the tendency of some tobies to nip leading to a blenny that is constantly hiding or ends up stressed to death.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back