Puffer fish can i get one?

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys is there any puffer fish i can keep in a 50 gallon reef cube ? or is that too small ? Just curious?

1 year old tank

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try only a Valentini or leopard Toby - both small (leopard is smaller). Both can nip at coral and eat snails and small crabs, but more reef safe than most puffers (it will ultimately depend on the individual fish and the corals you have).

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay i was looking at
Valentini Puffer
are they corals i can keep with them ? heard they only like hard stony coral to nip at?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay i was looking at
Valentini Puffer
are they corals i can keep with them ? heard they only like hard stony coral to nip at?
VALENTINI PUFFERS are a great addition and mine (Versace) has been a model citizen. His third day in the tank I saw him take a nip out of an Acan but he has been fine since. He does terrorize my snail population and tends to flip them and swim away...

To add... I don't have many SPS so cant help you on those. Sorry!

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a blue spotted puffer and though I haven't had him that long he has been great so far!

Extremely shy for the first 3 or 4 days but now he is out with the big boys. Hasn't touched any corals and is a very slow and peaceful fish so far.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try only a Valentini or leopard Toby - both small (leopard is smaller). Both can nip at coral and eat snails and small crabs, but more reef safe than most puffers (it will ultimately depend on the individual fish and the corals you have).

these are both really cool fish. I would recommend the Valentini. I added one to mytank years ago and I had a large cleaner shrimp. As big as the Valentini. I didn’t think it would be an issue, but literally 5 seconds after being introduced he swam straight for my shrimp and ate it. Most expensive fish food ever.

So be aware of that, otherwise they are very fun fish to have.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would search r2r and see people’s experiences with the Valentini, my guess is fleshy soft corals like blasto and acans as well as zoas are most likely to be nipped

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back