Puffer help! Advice on choosing between two species and diet

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm a new aquarist here and am planning on starting my first tank soon. I am in love with puffers, particularly the small sharpnoses and wanted to get some help chosing. I am interested in getting either a Valentini Puffer or Blue Spotted Puffer for my aquarium (as I understand you cant have more than one puffer due to territoriality). Has anyone kept either of these fish, and which do you recommend?

If youve kept one, would you be willing to share what diet you feed your puffer on a regular basis?

Thanks!

PS. I know that puffers are messy and love to eat invertebrates and coral. I am prepared for that responsibility once I get one.

OP
OP
PrimaryQwilfish

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm a new aquarist here and am planning on starting my first tank soon. I am in love with puffers, particularly the small sharpnoses and wanted to get some help chosing. I am interested in getting either a Valentini Puffer or Blue Spotted Puffer for my aquarium (as I understand you cant have more than one puffer due to territoriality). Has anyone kept either of these fish, and which do you recommend?

If youve kept one, would you be willing to share what diet you feed your puffer on a regular basis?

Thanks!

PS. I know that puffers are messy and love to eat invertebrates and coral. I am prepared for that responsibility once I get one.
Also my tank will be 55 gal.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't kept either so I'm not gonna be much help, sorry. But within a few months I will have one of those, more than likely the valentini. Either one would be a great choice though. As far a diet goes I've seen people keep their tanks stocked with snails and hermits. The puffer will eat them and the shells will help keep their beaks trimmed. Raw shrimp with shells on is also a good choice. As long as you provide something to keep their beaks trim from time to time you should be good. LRS fish frenzy has bigger meatier chunks of food that will keep them happy also.

OP
OP
PrimaryQwilfish

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't kept either so I'm not gonna be much help, sorry. But within a few months I will have one of those, more than likely the valentini. Either one would be a great choice though. As far a diet goes I've seen people keep their tanks stocked with snails and hermits. The puffer will eat them and the shells will help keep their beaks trimmed. Raw shrimp with shells on is also a good choice. As long as you provide something to keep their beaks trim from time to time you should be good. LRS fish frenzy has bigger meatier chunks of food that will keep them happy also.
Thank you! Thats definitely a good start for me to think about. I know their beaks need trimmed, Im curious if people fed them shrimp everyday and how mich/what size.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue spotted and it is great. I have a 210g tank with loads of corals, but mine are gorgs in this tank,so not bothered by puffer. I had to move my clam to a different tank though.

He eats anything! Loves the clams in a half shell, picks at the huge amount of snails I added for him. Will eat right out of my fingers. Loves the Hikari large mysis frozen stuff. I love the sharpnoses too. I almost go the valentini, but he was so small and my other fish would have bullied it. This guy fit right in.

OP
OP
PrimaryQwilfish

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue spotted and it is great. I have a 210g tank with loads of corals, but mine are gorgs in this tank,so not bothered by puffer. I had to move my clam to a different tank though.

He eats anything! Loves the clams in a half shell, picks at the huge amount of snails I added for him. Will eat right out of my fingers. Loves the Hikari large mysis frozen stuff. I love the sharpnoses too. I almost go the valentini, but he was so small and my other fish would have bullied it. This guy fit right in.
Really? That's awesome! How often do you feed him? Do you regularly set out clams? I want to make sure I give the puffer I get the best care I can. What is sort've a typical day for you in terms of feeding him? My tank is a 55 gal so Im a bit worried the blue spot could grow too big

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Valentinii puffer for about 6 mos. he was my favorite fish in my tank, unfortunately I lost my tank late spring of last year :( But this is not about that:) for the most part he was a " model Fish" in my tank but I fed him live black worms, LRS and a other food 2 x a day along with my other fish. Once in a while I would throw in a clam from the seafood market as an extra treat. Others will say they are not coral safe and thus can be true, maybe I was lucky with that. I'm looking at another tank very soon and I'm pretty sure I will have another one:D

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Valentinii puffer for about 6 mos. he was my favorite fish in my tank, unfortunately I lost my tank late spring of last year :( But this is not about that:) for the most part he was a " model Fish" in my tank but I fed him live black worms, LRS and a other food 2 x a day along with my other fish. Once in a while I would throw in a clam from the seafood market as an extra treat. Others will say they are not coral safe and thus can be true, maybe I was lucky with that. I'm looking at another tank very soon and I'm pretty sure I will have another one:D
Oh and mine would eat right from my fingers as well.

OP
OP
PrimaryQwilfish

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I'm sorry about your tank! Thank you for the info, that makes a lot of sense. I do have a dumb question - what is LFS? >.>' Im still learning the acronyms...

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I'm sorry about your tank! Thank you for the info, that makes a lot of sense. I do have a dumb question - what is LFS? >.>' Im still learning the acronyms...
Thanks you, yes it's been hard but i knew I d have another one, just need time :) LRS its Larrys Reef frenzy, awesome fish food, frozen with lots of good stuff, all my fish loved it. When I have time I'll post a picture of " Watson " my Valentinii so you can check him out:)

OP
OP
PrimaryQwilfish

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you, yes it's been hard but i knew I d have another one, just need time :) LRS its Larrys Reef frenzy, awesome fish food, frozen with lots of good stuff, all my fish loved it. When I have time I'll post a picture of " Watson " my Valentinii so you can check him out:)
Oh ok awesome!!! Thanks for the advice, perfect! And Id love to see the cute puffer!

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a valentini in my dt, until it started snacking my nassarius snail, now its in the sump. Well he eats everything, pellets, mysis, brine, worms, krill,... even shrimps molt skin...

OP
OP
PrimaryQwilfish

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a valentini in my dt, until it started snacking my nassarius snail, now its in the sump. Well he eats everything, pellets, mysis, brine, worms, krill,... even shrimps molt skin...
Its definitely a trend they eat everything, which is good, I wont have trouble feeding mine! I just hope he leaves urchins alone if I feed him enough.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue spot has not bothered my large urchins. Not sure if he eats the baby ones though. Never seen one (my urchins spawn every so often).

The clam in a half shell is given about 3 times a week maybe 2. It is just a special treat and all the fish devour it. I feed a minimum of once daily usually twice with such a variety it is hard to name all of it. I forgot to mention, he loves nori (seaweed sheets from the store - I use the sushi roll sheets from grocery store). Every time we get them ready for tank (on a rock or in a holder), he is the first to swim over and begin picking on them. Cool little dude.

Mine is only 4" tops. I think that is pretty close to as big as he will get. I also have had no issues with aiptasia since adding him, but could also be my rabbitfish. Not sure, but someone is keeping them in check. I think it is the puffer. So bonus!!!

OP
OP
PrimaryQwilfish

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue spot has not bothered my large urchins. Not sure if he eats the baby ones though. Never seen one (my urchins spawn every so often).

The clam in a half shell is given about 3 times a week maybe 2. It is just a special treat and all the fish devour it. I feed a minimum of once daily usually twice with such a variety it is hard to name all of it. I forgot to mention, he loves nori (seaweed sheets from the store - I use the sushi roll sheets from grocery store). Every time we get them ready for tank (on a rock or in a holder), he is the first to swim over and begin picking on them. Cool little dude.

Mine is only 4" tops. I think that is pretty close to as big as he will get. I also have had no issues with aiptasia since adding him, but could also be my rabbitfish. Not sure, but someone is keeping them in check. I think it is the puffer. So bonus!!!
Oh wow, thats good news and a lot of great info, thank you! Man puffers are so awesome. Ive seen people mention the nori sheets, Ive added that to my food list!

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170720_150532_403.jpg
I have a blue spot puffer. He eats a variety of foods but loves to eat nori off the clip with my other fish. They are very personable and intelligent. I love mine.
They are a risk to clean up crews (snails, cleaner shrimp). Mine leaves my hermits & snails alone but would go after a shrimp if I had one. Many hobbyists have had them eat snails eagerly. So it can depend on the individual puffer.
As far as deciding which puffer (Valentini or Blue Spotted), go with your personal preference. Both are beautiful fish.

IMG_20170910_124150_245.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
PrimaryQwilfish

PrimaryQwilfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170720_150532_403.jpg
I have a blue spot puffer. He eats a variety of foods but loves to eat nori off the clip with my other fish. They are very personable and intelligent. I love mine.
They are a risk to clean up crews (snails, cleaner shrimp). Mine leaves my hermits & snails alone but would go after a shrimp if I had one. Many hobbyists have had them eat snails eagerly. So it can depend on the individual puffer.
As far as deciding which puffer (Valentini or Blue Spotted), go with your personal preference. Both are beautiful fish.

IMG_20170910_124150_245.jpg
Wow, what awesome photos, thank you for the information! I think I have made up my mind to go for the blue spotted puffer, since they seem pretty equal. I can't wait!

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what awesome photos, thank you for the information! I think I have made up my mind to go for the blue spotted puffer, since they seem pretty equal. I can't wait!
You will love having puffer! I got ours for my hubs as a present. He loves puffers. Please post pics once you get one:)

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a $8 Figure 8 Puffer 3 1/2" in a 13g brackish tank. Low maintenance and just an all around awesome fish. The green spotted/leopard puffer and orange saddle fugu puffer are also brackish that get up to 6 inches. Since most puffers are not good at all with inverts and nips at corals. Check those 3 species out.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Valentini that I've had since he was just a tiny lil thing... 7mos later.... I am going to have to fish him out as he will not let me keep a cuc in the tank any longer. I Love this fish as he is beautiful and so entertaining to watch as he cruises the currents of the tank and interacts with everyone with no issue. He goes where others know to stay away from.. He will not let my crabs and snails live! He eats everything I feed the others (Mysis, frozen Clams, Fish Frenzy...whatever...., eats Nori off the clip so I cannot believe he is actually hungry...it's just his thing! Really don't want to banish him to the sump so I will probably exchange for a credit at my LFS....As for the beak...seems to take care of itself by picking at the rockwork.....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back