Puffer with BAD ich at LFS

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed there was a live freshwater ghost shrimp and some empty shells in the mini tank w him. I don’t think I could do sacrificial hermits or snails. For some reason, I can feed em piles of live baby brine shrimp but not snails or hermit crabs. I get really attached to those. Is there any way around this?!? I can’t rescue him only to provide him inadequate care
Frozen clams on half shell would be great.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge advocate of TTM and for a puffer this would be especially true. No chemicals means their sensitive skin won't be an issue. And if you do it right, the fish will not have ich after 12 days. Yes, other parasites would still be a concern but that's what the actual QT/observation is for. Ich does not require chemicals to treat!

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge advocate of TTM and for a puffer this would be especially true. No chemicals means their sensitive skin won't be an issue. And if you do it right, the fish will not have ich after 12 days. Yes, other parasites would still be a concern but that's what the actual QT/observation is for. Ich does not require chemicals to treat!

Thank you but I was too late :(

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not for the puffer, but in general, don’t you find the TTM to be too stressful for the fish? I love the idea of not using meds but the stress has always been a big factor for me

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for the puffer, but in general, don’t you find the TTM to be too stressful for the fish? I love the idea of not using meds but the stress has always been a big factor for me
wow, I missed this... sorry! I thought it would be stressful but it doesn't appear to be if you just make sure to match salinity and temp in the transfer tanks. I always feed the fish just a few minutes after transfer and it's amazing how they almost always eat immediately after transfer. To me, that means the fish is comfortable... or at least hungry enough to eat. Either way, it's a good sign. And it's a good indicator on whether the fish is stressed or not. Again, I've had great success with TTM. Never had a fish die because of it. It's also remarkably easy, especially after the first time. Just need to have 2 of everything basically.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back