Puffer with BAD ich at LFS

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For QT, it’s best not to have live rock until AFTER all of the meds have been administered and removed. A HOB filter with sponge/filter floss and seeded with bio-spira is what I would do. Then Prime and water changes to manage ammonia after that. PVC elbows for hiding spaces.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if he is small should be ok in the 20g QT... but what about the fish that are there now? Where were you planning to go with them if you brought him home? I was under the impression the 55g contents would be moved to the 110 and the 55g would be used as an extra QT.

If the fish and the live rock can’t be combined any time soon, you might need another 20g QT...

dangit I think you’re right. Fish and rocks/inverts must stay separated until mid July. Looks like I would need another qt. I might be in over my head here.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For QT, it’s best not to have live rock until AFTER all of the meds have been administered and removed. A HOB filter with sponge/filter floss and seeded with bio-spira is what I would do. Then Prime and water changes to manage ammonia after that. PVC elbows for hiding spaces.

Ok. That’s what I’ve been doing w copper. Just didn’t know if same w cp. thx

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dangit I think you’re right. Fish and rocks/inverts must stay separated until mid July. Looks like I would need another qt. I might be in over my head here.

You can treat him for 30 days in a single QT, if the current fish can move to the 110 without all of the live rock/inverts coming with them.

Can just set it up as a large QT but would need lots and lots of bio-spira as it will be difficult to do water changes sufficient enough to make a difference if ammonia creeps up in an un-cycled tank that large.

But, if you run into issues with the puffer in CP... appetite suppression, bacterial infections, etc.. you won’t have anywhere else to go with him. I would at the very least have a spare 10g you can use in a pinch temporarily if you need to break down and sterilize the current QT.

Edit. Duh, instead of moving the fish to the 110... can move over the live rock/inverts and sterilize the 55g for the puffer. Still would want a spare QT just in case you need to transfer the puffer after 14 days for whatever reason.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can treat him for 30 days in a single QT, if the current fish can move to the 110 without all of the live rock/inverts coming with them.

Can just set it up as a large QT but would need lots and lots of bio-spira as it will be difficult to do water changes sufficient enough to make a difference if ammonia creeps up in an un-cycled tank that large.

But, if you run into issues with the puffer in CP... appetite suppression, bacterial infections, etc.. you won’t have anywhere else to go with him. I would at the very least have a spare 10g you can use in a pinch temporarily if you need to break down and sterilize the current QT.

Edit. Duh, instead of moving the fish to the 110... can move over the live rock/inverts and sterilize the 55g for the puffer. Still would want a spare QT just in case you need to transfer the puffer after 14 days for whatever reason.

I’ve got lots of little tanks laying around that can sub as a temp emergency situation. Lots of 5g buckets and a 10g tank here and there. But stay tuned for sad update

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SAD UPDATE

I matched salinity and temp. I went to LFS. I asked to buy him. I was told he’s not for sale and ushered to a dogface puffer. I asked again. Guy admitted that one’s sick. I told him I know, I’ll pay full price. I was brought to the manager. Manager, who I’ve gotten to know, confirmed he’s not for sale and is sick. I explained I have meds, I have qt ready, and my plan. I begged. He agreed. We walked over to where Joe was and my heart was immediately broken. Joe isn’t dead. But he might as well be. He was so bad I was afraid to transport him. I suggested they humanely euthanize the poor thing and he agreed. I assume he was just scooped up and left out of water. I think I’m gonna be sick

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SAD UPDATE

I matched salinity and temp. I went to LFS. I asked to buy him. I was told he’s not for sale and ushered to a dogface puffer. I asked again. Guy admitted that one’s sick. I told him I know, I’ll pay full price. I was brought to the manager. Manager, who I’ve gotten to know, confirmed he’s not for sale and is sick. I explained I have meds, I have qt ready, and my plan. I begged. He agreed. We walked over to where Joe was and my heart was immediately broken. Joe isn’t dead. But he might as well be. He was so bad I was afraid to transport him. I suggested they humanely euthanize the poor thing and he agreed. I assume he was just scooped up and left out of water. I think I’m gonna be sick
Well that sucks.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was so so covered on Tuesday so I was expecting him to be in bad shape. But he was so responsive on Tuesday that I was hopeful. I was just too late. I should have picked him up on Wednesday :(
We always feel the same way. Don't "what if" yourself to death over it. You tried properly.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t feel bad... if I’d tried to save every fish that I’ve seen in bad shape at an LFS, I’d have to have a tank the size of, well, the ocean, right now :(

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SAD UPDATE

Your heart was definitely in the right place and I think you made a sound decision to seek advice before possibly getting in over your head. You really did do everything right and did everything you could

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your heart was definitely in the right place and I think you made a sound decision to seek advice before possibly getting in over your head. You really did do everything right and did everything you could

That’s very sweet of you. And you’re right. If I had just brought it home, I would have put it straight into copper. So I researched first. Thank you for the sound advise along the way and your support :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back