Puffer with BAD ich at LFS

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a little puffer at LFS COVERED in ich. Just COVERED. No pics. Small. 2 inches. No idea what kind. Not a dog face. Short. Stubby. Maybe a porcupine? They’ve got him segregated in the invert system so I know no meds. It’s just a matter of time. I may already be too late. He’s in a tiny box hovering near the top looking just miserable. But Responsive. I put my finger up to the glass and he came over. He cane over guys!!!! I know the controversy around rescuing them. But my heart is breaking for this guy. Did I mention he came over?!? He’s been there since at least Tuesday and I haven’t been able to stop thinking of him since. I’ve got an extra 55g he can live in by himself till he recovers. Then can add friends and make it a FOWLR tank. What would you do?

I should add that I won’t be able to upgrade him to a larger tank. Ever. I’d have to rehome him one day

HELP!!!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a little puffer at LFS COVERED in ich. Just COVERED. No pics. Small. 2 inches. No idea what kind. Not a dog face. Short. Stubby. Maybe a porcupine? They’ve got him segregated in the invert system so I know no meds. It’s just a matter of time. I may already be too late. He’s in a tiny box hovering near the top looking just miserable. But Responsive. I put my finger up to the glass and he came over. He cane over guys!!!! I know the controversy around rescuing them. But my heart is breaking for this guy. Did I mention he came over?!? He’s been there since at least Tuesday and I haven’t been able to stop thinking of him since. I’ve got an extra 55g he can live in by himself till he recovers. Then can add friends and make it a FOWLR tank. What would you do?

I should add that I won’t be able to upgrade him to a larger tank. Ever. I’d have to rehome him one day

HELP!!!
Walk away. If you can't upgrade and you rescue him you won't be able to give him up.

Walk away.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HELP!!!
If it were me I'd do it, but only you can make the decision. It sounds like you may be his only chance at a long life though:)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mariette , So You don't have a Qt setup & cycled ? It would be a lot better for the fish if Ya did.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did I mention walk away.

Ahhhh. Did I mention I’ve got a 110g in the works that’s planned as a mixed reef? That’s why I’ve got a spare 55g. I don't have any corals. He could live in there for a good long time.
What’s the smallest tank you can keep a puffer in long term? Guess it’s a stupid question not knowing what kind of puffer it is huh?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh. Did I mention I’ve got a 110g in the works that’s planned as a mixed reef? That’s why I’ve got a spare 55g. I don't have any corals. He could live in there for a good long time.
What’s the smallest tank you can keep a puffer in long term? Guess it’s a stupid question not knowing what kind of puffer it is huh?
That would help and that does make difference. If its a Toby 55 is fine. Larger tank you could go for it.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mariette , So You don't have a Qt setup & cycled ? It would be a lot better for the fish if Ya did.

I do. Here’s what I have:
- 110g tank sitting empty. Waiting for equipment to get it started.
- 20g cycled qt w 2 fish that have now been cured of Velvet and are awaiting transfer to 110g. That tank has no meds in it.
- 55g going fallow w inverts

Wherever I put the puffer, I’d have access to live rock from an established tank and can use DT water. But would go minimum on live rock at first during copper for obvious reasons

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- 20g cycled qt w 2 fish that have now been cured of Velvet and are awaiting transfer to 110g. That tank has no meds in it.

Wherever I put the puffer, I’d have access to live rock from an established tank and can use DT water. But would go minimum on live rock at first during copper for obvious reasons
Any bio media like rings and stuff like that. Sponge filter would also kick start the cycle

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No live rock would be best and cp would be a better treatment choice for a tank that would be eventually used as a dt

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep several puffers and hyposalintiy is preferred for treatment. Knowing the type of puffer will help a lot, but puffers in a non established qt is a pain. They are very messy and create a lot of waste. Even little ones make a mess. A cycled hyposalinty QT is a must or you are just adding to the ich with ammonia burn, unless you can do a few water changes a day or use a ton of prime.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you treat a puffer with ich? Supposedly copper is bad for them.
Chloroquine phosphate (cp) is safe for puffers and an effective treatment for ich, velvet, brook, and uronema. And yes, copper can be dangerous to use on them

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back