Puffer with BAD ich at LFS

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB is fine. I am acclimating 2 spotted puffers to salt water that were in my brackish tank, as they are about 2 years old now. They are in a 20l with an aquaclear 50. It does fine, but I have rock in there also. No issues with HOB for the puffer if you get it.
I forgot. Make sure on feeding it. That it is little pieces, one or two at a time and it does not miss them. I cannot stress enough that they are messy. Much easier to deal with ammonia and such if it is coming out of the fish and not from a piece rotting under something.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made a decision. I want that fish. I have started giving my husband the puppy dog eyes. He’s wavering. Tomorrow, I will prep the qt while he’s at work, match LFS salinity, and, all the while, bombard my poor husband with begging texts throughout the day. Assuming puffer is still alive, and husband caves, puffer will be in my care by tomorrow evening. Wish me luck and stay tuned
Let us know what type and keep us updated.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot. Make sure on feeding it. That it is little pieces, one or two at a time and it does not miss them. I cannot stress enough that they are messy. Much easier to deal with ammonia and such if it is coming out of the fish and not from a piece rotting under something.

Ok great advise. Let’s hope I get to him before it’s too late and he’s eating

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening if you are in my time zone. Wondering, if you don’t mind how much they are asking, does he look like he will survive being shipped, eating?

Also I would go to liveaquaria and browse around so you know what type of puffer it is. Can play a factor in diet and treatment.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to share pics of the hippo,?
Here she is after a little more than a month(before and after pics). I also tried saving a yellow tang but unfortunately lost him.

Photo_2019-05-17_10-34-39_PM.png

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening if you are in my time zone. Wondering, if you don’t mind how much they are asking, does he look like he will survive being shipped, eating?

Also I would go to liveaquaria and browse around so you know what type of puffer it is. Can play a factor in diet and treatment.

Evening. I’m in Canada. It’s 11pm here.

I saw him (I’ve decided it’s a he because I’ve named it “Joe” and “Joe” would be a stupid name for a female) briefly on Tuesday. From what I recall, and based on my liveaquaria and google rummagings through the last 2 days, it’s possibly a porcupine puffer. I didn’t ask how much they wanted for him or if he’s eating. I noticed he wasn’t labelled and didn’t have a price tag. I presume he’s not for sale. I think I can convince them to sell him to me. I’m not having him shipped. LFS is 12 min away. You mean transported? Given that he was responsive, I think he’ll transport ok. Not great. But ok. It’s really a trade of at this point coz he’s for sure going to die there if someone doesn’t do something

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I saw him (I’ve decided it’s a he because I’ve named it “Joe” and “Joe” would be a stupid name for a female) briefly on Tuesday. From what I recall, and based on my liveaquaria and google rummagings through the last 2 days, it’s possibly a porcupine puffer. I didn’t ask how much they wanted for him or if he’s eating. I noticed he wasn’t labelled and didn’t have a price tag. I presume he’s not for sale. I think I can convince them to sell him to me.
I think I see why your lfs isn't treating him, he probably doesn't have anything to use being in Canada. I hope that's the only reason anyways

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valentini? Sharpnose? Those are both more commonly found ones you could keep with a 55.......

I would walk away...... but kudos to you!

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I see why your lfs isn't treating him, he probably doesn't have anything to use being in Canada

They could try hypo. Or copper as a last resort. Anything would be better than nothing. No? Luckily, I got my hands on a pile of meds from the US recently so I’m probably better equipped than LFS at this point.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could try hypo. Or copper as a last resort. Anything would be better than nothing. No? Luckily, I got my hands on a pile of meds from the US recently so I’m probably better equipped than LFS at this point.
Very true. That's great you have an arsenal at your disposal!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I saw him (I’ve decided it’s a he because I’ve named it “Joe” and “Joe” would be a stupid name for a female) briefly on Tuesday. From what I recall, and based on my liveaquaria and google rummagings through the last 2 days, it’s possibly a porcupine puffer. I didn’t ask how much they wanted for him or if he’s eating. I noticed he wasn’t labelled and didn’t have a price tag. I presume he’s not for sale. I think I can convince them to sell him to me. I’m not having him shipped. LFS is 12 min away. You mean transported? Given that he was responsive, I think he’ll transport ok. Not great. But ok. It’s really a trade of at this point coz he’s for sure going to die there if someone doesn’t do something
If you are going to get “Joe” be sure if it is a porcupine, to check its teeth. If at the lfs for a long time or somewhere else that does not feed properly, it may need its teeth trimmed. You do not want to do this during treatment, unless it causes issues with it eating. Best to wait till after so you minimize stress. Hoping since you said it was small, that will not be an issue. But it can become one if it is not fed proper food. Porcs need a few sacrificial hermits or snails from time to time to keep the teeth worked down. Shell on raw shrimp helps a little, but doesn’t really cut it long term.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to get “Joe” be sure if it is a porcupine, to check its teeth. If at the lfs for a long time or somewhere else that does not feed properly, it may need its teeth trimmed. You do not want to do this during treatment, unless it causes issues with it eating. Best to wait till after so you minimize stress. Hoping since you said it was small, that will not be an issue. But it can become one if it is not fed proper food. Porcs need a few sacrificial hermits or snails from time to time to keep the teeth worked down. Shell on raw shrimp helps a little, but doesn’t really cut it long term.

I noticed there was a live freshwater ghost shrimp and some empty shells in the mini tank w him. I don’t think I could do sacrificial hermits or snails. For some reason, I can feed em piles of live baby brine shrimp but not snails or hermit crabs. I get really attached to those. Is there any way around this?!? I can’t rescue him only to provide him inadequate care

Back