Puffer with Lionfish

Aretes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some research and am confused by some of the mixed answers I've seen. I'm looking to add an additional 75 gallon tank into my system. Am going to stray away from my other systems and make it a fowlr tank. So would I be able to keep a dwarf Lionfish and a Blue spotted puffer together? I've read somewhere that green spotted puffers need fine substrate, is this the same with blue spotted puffers? Or can I make it a bare bottom tank?
Thanks in advance.

Tehreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a porc puffer with a lion and never had any problems. Substrate doesn't matter as they swim in the water column not on the substrate. The puffer might lay on the substrate but not not swim on it.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept puffers with lions as well, just know this isn't the norm. Puffers are well known to nip at lions fins. Now I did keep dwarf lions with the puffer, where a volitan or russels will have longer flowing fins.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any issues so long as the puffer doesn't fit in the lion's mouth and the puffer isn't mean or big enough to pick on the lion!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a plan B if you get one. You hear mixed reviews as people DO have issues. We've had one i particular with a lion before and they may be model citizens for the longest time, but didn't end up being so. If they happen to "taste" your lions fins, sometimes they don't stop and it becomes a habit. Some puffers are definitely less mouthy than others. If your lions fins are especially flowy, it's more of a risk.

Last edited:

Tehreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see evidence of a puffer going after a lionfish. People claim they will nip at find because it's a common myth that that has been spread around, without any evidence to support their claims besides, that they read it somewhere....
In addition when people report this it is most likely during feeding as puffers and lions are extremely aggressive when going after food.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aretes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for getting back to me. Looks like it's time to start planning the aquascape

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see evidence of a puffer going after a lionfish. People claim they will nip at find because it's a common myth that that has been spread around, without any evidence to support their claims besides, that they read it somewhere....
In addition when people report this it is most likely during feeding as puffers and lions are extremely aggressive when going after food.

There's been 5 puffers this family. Three different genera and in one of those genera, three different species.

Canthigaster coronta, C. valentini, C. jactator, Arothon hispidus and Diadon holocanthus.

Three were two nippers and one had to be removed.

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's been 5 puffers this family. Three different genera and in one of those genera, three different species.

Canthigaster coronta, C. valentini, C. jactator, Arothon hispidus and Diadon holocanthus.

I am particularly interested in your experience as hoping to organise a 100gal tank with Lionfish; compatibility charts suggest puffers as a suitable aquarium companion for Lions. What's your thoughts; is there any one better suited if so?
I originally was looking at the Valentini but information suggest whilst a small puffer it is a bad nipper.
Any input on companions for lions would be great....pls. Nothing is guaranteed but am aiming at a stocking list where they are more likely to cohabit without killing each other.....I deal with enough of that drama with my 3 girls.

Nigelk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are fine, volitans and spiney box, both are a good size, if anything my lion is more aggressive to the puffer, I think the bottom lion [emoji23] is it's a risk.

Tehreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please post a video or picture. Puffers nipping a lions fin is a complete MYTH

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post a video or picture. Puffers nipping a lions fin is a complete MYTH
There's just enough evidence of pufferfish killing and harming docile species to support said "myth." I would actually not be surprised if a pufferfish not only nipped, but also killed a lionfish.

You're calling out the guy who has kept several if not tens of lionfish. If he's jot credible enough, no one is.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept dogface puffers with volitan lions is large aquariums with no problems, but those blue spotted puffers are notorious nippers.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, I don't have pictures, but I've seen it with my own eyes. That won't amount to much for someone looking for "proof", but someone looking for advice, it may help them to be aware it DOES happen. The one that had to be removed was a dog face puffer. It wasn't until he was about 7" long that he started that up. As a youth, he was a model citizen.

They don't have beaks for nothin'.

Tehreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, I don't have pictures, but I've seen it with my own eyes. That won't amount to much for someone looking for "proof", but someone looking for advice, it may help them to be aware it DOES happen. The one that had to be removed was a dog face puffer. It wasn't until he was about 7" long that he started that up. As a youth, he was a model citizen.

They don't have beaks for nothin'.

Those "beaks" which is actually a tooth, are used to crush shellfish, snails, etc. not nip lion fins....

Again if you are so adamant that puffers nip lion fins I challenge you to find ONE video or pic documenting this behavior. Otherwise you are basing your opinion on hearsay and not facts.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't make a difference what they were "meant" to nip on in the ocean.... it makes a difference what they DO nip on in our little artificial environments.

I'M
not basing my opinion on hearsay, because I SAW it. I'm not saying anyone else has to take it as a fact, as it's meant to be advice, not a scientific study. I'm not even the ones saying don't do.... I'm the ones who are saying have a Plan B in case it happens to you, like it happened to me.

Last edited:

trippcast98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those "beaks" which is actually a tooth, are used to crush shellfish, snails, etc. not nip lion fins....

Again if you are so adamant that puffers nip lion fins I challenge you to find ONE video or pic documenting this behavior. Otherwise you are basing your opinion on hearsay and not facts.
I know it’s 6 years later, but wow you really got in your feelings about that one. If the guy says it happened, then it happened.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 39 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back