Puffy the puffer just hanging out

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pufferfish are awesome fish. I have a porcupine that acts like a puppy. Gets excited when we talk to him. Spits water out of the sump for attention when he hears us. Eats from chopsticks. Highly intelligent social fish. Not sure how he would do with corals. But he doesn't bother all the clams,dusters, bivalves or other inverts that are in the sump although he does eat a medium sized shrimp or whats equivalent to that sometimes twice a day:)
20201110_145716_1.gif

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pufferfish are awesome fish. I have a porcupine that acts like a puppy. Gets excited when we talk to him. Spits water out of the sump for attention when he hears us. Eats from chopsticks. Highly intelligent social fish. Not sure how he would do with corals. But he doesn't bother all the clams,dusters, bivalves or other inverts that are in the sump although he does eat a medium sized shrimp or whats equivalent to that sometimes twice a day:)
20201110_145716_1.gif
I've got a baby one that is smaller than my thumb and he is the absolute love of my life!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a baby one that is smaller than my thumb and he is the absolute love of my life!
Haha yeah my wife is absolutely in love with him. Its hard not to like them. They really do act like puppies :)
They have huge appetite. Ours has nearly trippled in size these last few months.
He eats squid, shrimp, mysis, krill, carnivore diet. Make sure you offer him a good mix of foods and he will blow up for ya:)

OP
OP
Sailingeric

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it get along with corals and inverts
I have had mine for about 3 years with no issues with my corals or inverts. I tired throwing in extra crabs and snails for him to eat but did not show any interest. I was worried in the begining about the break getting to big but it has stated the same.

Crevalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201110_145716_1.gif
I really want either a porcupine or spiny box puffer. I’ve had the green spotted puffers in brackish. Need to set up a fowlr tank. I’ve seen some nice small ones snorkeling the flats so could even catch my own.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys feed your saddle/valentini puffers? I want to keep one but am afraid regarding its growing teeth.
We don't cook or even eat much seafood so don't know how to choose clams/mussels etc.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys feed your saddle/valentini puffers? I want to keep one but am afraid regarding its growing teeth.
We don't cook or even eat much seafood so don't know how to choose clams/mussels etc.
You can buy clam on half shell from most lfs that's all mine eats besides some bigger chunks of lrs

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah my wife is absolutely in love with him. Its hard not to like them. They really do act like puppies :)
They have huge appetite. Ours has nearly trippled in size these last few months.
He eats squid, shrimp, mysis, krill, carnivore diet. Make sure you offer him a good mix of foods and he will blow up for ya:)
If I had a bigger tank that'd be the way I'd go! Puffers are life.

Crevalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky living near the beach. I caught sand fleas, fiddler crabs and coquina clams for mine. Plus I had snails from freshwater aquariums and leftover live shrimp from fishing. I would freeze whatever I didn’t feed them right away. I loved it all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back