Pulsing Xenia...hate it

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys,

It's a thug..spreads like wildfire..is there anyway to 100% kill xenia.
I can't get the rocks out of the tank and I can't get properly at the base of the trunks.
Any thoughts please.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys,

It's a thug..spreads like wildfire..is there anyway to 100% kill xenia.
I can't get the rocks out of the tank and I can't get properly at the base of the trunks.
Any thoughts please.
Aiptasia X or another kalk solution should kill it; may take a couple of treatments and, of course, you'll want to watch your water parameters if you use a lot of it. I would trim it off as close to the rock as possible and then administer the kalk.
Good luck

Travv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it reacts anything like a mushroom in hydrogen peroxide, you could try dipping the rock. I know it's not ideal and risky, but that should dissolve them away. I'd try other methods first though.

Good luck!

OP
OP
mucky1957

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said in the post..the rocks are stuck in place..it has to be done in the tank.

Mikedawg...sorry to be a newb..but what is KALK. I have aptasia x and used it on the aptasia itself. Worked a treat and that is all gone. Do I use the syringe and puncture the trunks and add the ap x ??

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said in the post..the rocks are stuck in place..it has to be done in the tank.

Mikedawg...sorry to be a newb..but what is KALK. I have aptasia x and used it on the aptasia itself. Worked a treat and that is all gone. Do I use the syringe and puncture the trunks and add the ap x ??
Kalk or Kalkwasser is a concentrated solution of calcium hydroxide which is used for calcium and alkalinity maintenance; you'll see it used by a lot of reefers trying to raise their cal/alk numbers. I believe that Aiptasia X is essentially a strong kalk solution. You can buy kalk in most LFSs and make up your own paste like solution which you can squirt through a syringe or just use Aiptasia X; turn off your pumps; scrape as much of the Xenia off your rocks as you can, and then squirt the kalk on what's left of the Xenia. Aiptasia X out of the bottle may be too weak to kill the Xenia the first time and so you may want to hit it a few more times. If you buy the dry kalk you can make up a paste that is very strong.
Let us know how it works. BTW, some of us, me included, have a soft spot for Xenia and wish you weren't so far away across the pond so we could rescue it, ha ha.
Good luck

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im personally Skeered of the FenBen.. I managed to kill my whole tank using that stuff for blue cloves. Rip it out and kalk paste whatever remain.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalk paste or Aptasia x on Palys that get to weedy. I just syringe them rt in the mouth while open and they get ticked. It works like a charm. I have hundreds of Zoa’s and Paly’s and when the Palys try to gain too much space I use it everytime to keep at bay. Try squirtin a few polyps with the flow completely off. Rt in their face and leave circulation off for bout 20 min then use a turkey baster to suck out all the paste prior to firing pumps back up.

Travv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

True, sorry about that.

If you can get the water low enough through a water change you can spot treat them by placing peroxide in the xenia areas. Otherwise, you're right...my idea wouldn't work.

OP
OP
mucky1957

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk or Kalkwasser is a concentrated solution of calcium hydroxide which is used for calcium and alkalinity maintenance; you'll see it used by a lot of reefers trying to raise their cal/alk numbers. I believe that Aiptasia X is essentially a strong kalk solution. You can buy kalk in most LFSs and make up your own paste like solution which you can squirt through a syringe or just use Aiptasia X; turn off your pumps; scrape as much of the Xenia off your rocks as you can, and then squirt the kalk on what's left of the Xenia. Aiptasia X out of the bottle may be too weak to kill the Xenia the first time and so you may want to hit it a few more times. If you buy the dry kalk you can make up a paste that is very strong.
Let us know how it works. BTW, some of us, me included, have a soft spot for Xenia and wish you weren't so far away across the pond so we could rescue it, ha ha.
Good luck
ah...I have the Reef Foundation A and B and C so thats ok..added the 1st lot of aiptasia X about 3 hrs ago..will wait and see. Thanks

OP
OP
mucky1957

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate it too and won't be putting anymore in my tank. Lucky for me it only spread to the back glass that was easy to scrape off.

OP
OP
mucky1957

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used aptasia x on two large colonies of the stuff..totally destroyed it..now to blitz the rest of it.....thanks everyone for comments

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This has always been a topic of controversy as some are haunted by xenia while others love this stuff. I have 3 versions of xenia, and they are confined to their original rock.
It is sickening to see stores and merchants selling frags of xenia for $19.99 or more when they know this is indeed a weed which can stay confined or overtake a tank. Funny to see occasionally hobbyists begging for this stuff while seeing others struggling to destroy it.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is sickening to see stores and merchants selling frags of xenia for $19.99 or more when they know this is indeed a weed which can stay confined or overtake a tank. Funny to see occasionally hobbyists begging for this stuff while seeing others struggling to destroy it.

What about that is sickening?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What about that is sickening?
Sickening- frags of these often free up to $5 bucks. Selling them them at $20 or more as a coral is an issue

OP
OP
mucky1957

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a thug..and tbh I was told it was a thug when I put it in my tank 4 yrs ago...I've been able to keep it under control for a long time but now it's popping up all over...the APTASIA X has worked a treat. Puncture the base ..squirt a bit in...4 hrs later...GONE. Hopefully for good.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back