Pulsing xenia spreading?

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating my first beginner corals. I don't want anything that's super sensitive. A rock island of pulsing xenia seems like a perfect addition. However, I've seen pictures of what it looks like when it covers the entire tank. Is that something to be paranoid about? If I put it on its own island, will it eventually spread to the main structure? If it does, is it impossible to keep in check?

Is it better to avoid altogether?

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep it on its own rock you will be fine. Just remove any that floats off to start a new piece. I love mine.
So, if I had it established on an island and I noticed it growing on the main structure, I could dig at it with a knife and suck it out with a vacuum and it wouldn't come back in that spot?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I had it established on an island and I noticed it growing on the main structure, I could dig at it with a knife and suck it out with a vacuum and it wouldn't come back in that spot?
You could. But you won't. Some day you'll think eh, I'll do it tomorrow. And that will be the end of your tank for anything but xenia. If you even see it to begin with, it could be behind the rock or in some hole.

Easier and less work and probably cheaper in the long run to just get a second (nano or pico) tank just for xenia

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulsing xenias are one of the few corals that just never take off in my aquarium. I can do acros, monti basically any sps and lps as well but xenias just die off within a month. Also struggling with gsp ‍. But in my short experience with xenias, yes they can drop heads that may drift and settle someplace as else. So you may wanna watch out for that.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Zoas can be cheap (not the designer ones) and are super hardy. I'd start with that. If you like the flowy look of Xenia, try a clove poly (not blue ones, things like mandarin clove polyps). They are hardy, grow fast, and more manageable.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOps 6 feet of xenia

i-K5jKzKp-L.jpg
and yet. There are 2 large snowflake eels in this tank. Watching them glide through the xenia is somewhat satisfying. It also shows off the butterflies and angels well. I will remove some someday. It really isn't very hard.
i-V9GmFNx-L.jpg

i-nCfhqsr-M.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 62 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back