Pump flow rate advice please

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting the parts together for my new tank, the sump will have a clarisea sk-3000 filter roller so I know I’m going to need 3000l/hr for that, I’m also going to plumb in a DD 20w uv steriliser using the same pump and a gate valve to control the flow, the uv needs 1000 l/hr flow

where I’m confused is am I still looking for a 3000 l/hr flow rate even though a third of that is going through the uv first - I guess ultimately it’s still only going through one return pump and one return pipe to the display tank

I’d get a dc pump so I can turn it down therefore running quieter and arguably less stress on the pump which will in turn prolong its life

so would something like a TMC reef connect 10000 running at a low setting work - obviously I’d measure the flow at both points to tune the flow to the uv and the display tank

am I on the right track ?

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine if you keep the height between the sump and aquarium reasonable and use large enough pipe.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to run the UV off the return pump in a closed loop or open loop?
Not sure on the terminology, but one pump that tees off to the uv through a gate valve then joins back to the main return pipe

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These kind of pumps don't like friction, so you might have to go up a size to run the pump on a low setting.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These kind of pumps don't like friction, so you might have to go up a size to run the pump on a low setting.
I don’t understand that, I need 3000 through the clarisea and I’ve suggested 10000 to run on a low setting is that not right?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the terminology, but one pump that tees off to the uv through a gate valve then joins back to the main return pipe
Closed loop. You'll want a second gate valve on the UV output between the UV and main return pipe so you can close it off completely for maintenance.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand that, I need 3000 through the clarisea and I’ve suggested 10000 to run on a low setting is that not right?
I don't think you need 3,000 l/hr for the Clarisea; I believe it's rated for up to that volume, if I'm not mistaken.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting the parts together for my new tank, the sump will have a clarisea sk-3000 filter roller so I know I’m going to need 3000l/hr for that, I’m also going to plumb in a DD 20w uv steriliser using the same pump and a gate valve to control the flow, the uv needs 1000 l/hr flow

where I’m confused is am I still looking for a 3000 l/hr flow rate even though a third of that is going through the uv first - I guess ultimately it’s still only going through one return pump and one return pipe to the display tank

I’d get a dc pump so I can turn it down therefore running quieter and arguably less stress on the pump which will in turn prolong its life

so would something like a TMC reef connect 10000 running at a low setting work - obviously I’d measure the flow at both points to tune the flow to the uv and the display tank

am I on the right track ?
An alternative is to run a secondary pump and create more return line plumbing. Or even having your sterilizer spit back out into the sump, which isn't ideal but would allow you to keep the 3000L/H. I would look into plumbing up a second pump to join the plumbing in a later stage of your return. (i will include a drawing example for this one).

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 2.41.34 PM.png

I haven't used this in practice and I am not sure if it would impact flow but if you put a one way valve in between the Teal and Gray pipes I showed I think it would work. You would be able to have one outflow achieve your 3000L/H and 1000L/H but this is all in theory.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An alternative is to run a secondary pump and create more return line plumbing. Or even having your sterilizer spit back out into the sump, which isn't ideal but would allow you to keep the 3000L/H. I would look into plumbing up a second pump to join the plumbing in a later stage of your return. (i will include a drawing example for this one).

I haven't used this in practice and I am not sure if it would impact flow but if you put a one way valve in between the Teal and Gray pipes I showed I think it would work. You would be able to have one outflow achieve your 3000L/H and 1000L/H but this is all in theory.
Thanks, just trying to avoid another pump that’s all, definitely won’t be taking and returning in the sump for the uv

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine :)

10000 lph is the max theoretical and likely not entirely accurate, but let's assume it is.

- You'll lose roughly 2000 to 3000 lph with a standard 1 to 1.5m height difference between the sump and tank.
- If the tank comes with a bulkhead less than 32mm, say 25mm, you could lose another (roughly) 2000 to friction (much higher if it comes with a 20mm).
- You likely won't lose a ton to fittings and valves, but they do add up.

Just pointing out that there's a chance given you want to run it on a low setting.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine :)

10000 lph is the max theoretical and likely not entirely accurate, but let's assume it is.

- You'll lose roughly 2000 to 3000 lph with a standard 1 to 1.5m height difference between the sump and tank.
- If the tank comes with a bulkhead less than 32mm, say 25mm, you could lose another (roughly) 2000 to friction (much higher if it comes with a 20mm).
- You likely won't lose a ton to fittings and valves, but they do add up.

Just pointing out that there's a chance given you want to run it on a low setting.
Ah ok gotcha, I’ve no idea what size return the tank is coming with. In hindsight maybe I should of specified it with two returns and use one for the uv

pmacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have set up on my tank but you need two one way valves on the uv and main pump pipes. If only one is used it provides a short circuit to the flow via the pump if it is switched off and the uv flow basically stops going to the display tank.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely do yourself a favor and get a DC pump.

Had two very large ones on my last tank. Being able to adjust flow is awesome, also equipment will fail, so having a redundant system is nice.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up on my tank but you need two one way valves on the uv and main pump pipes. If only one is used it provides a short circuit to the flow via the pump if it is switched off and the uv flow basically stops going to the display tank.
I’ve spec’d the tank now with 4x holes drilled to accept 4x 35mm bulkheads so I’m going to run 2x drains and 2x returns one normal and one through the uv

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back