• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Pump for moving water through a kalk reactor?

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
I’ve been battling this saw issue with my Avast K1 stirr. Was trying to use my Apex pmup via my ATO but it was overflowing te reactor. Now I’m testing the ice cap dosing pump at a rate of 90mls an hour.
Has anyone used this pump
What are you doing?
I had messaged Avast to inquire if this can be done with their mixers and they said no as it is not sealed to work this way, they said you can’t pull with pump as it is meant to be gravity drip.

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
I had messaged Avast to inquire if this can be done with their mixers and they said no as it is not sealed to work this way, they said you can’t pull with pump as it is meant to be gravity drip.
Off topic (kinda).... I find it odd that almost every Kalk stirrer these days uses that same gravity drip design. Very difficult to find one that is totally sealed that can have water pushed through it. I know that the gravity drip design can help to prevent leaks, but sometimes it is not possible to have the stirrer at a level that is higher than the edge of the sump so that the gravity drip works.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Off topic (kinda).... I find it odd that almost every Kalk stirrer these days uses that same gravity drip design. Very difficult to find one that is totally sealed that can have water pushed through it. I know that the gravity drip design can help to prevent leaks, but sometimes it is not possible to have the stirrer at a level that is higher than the edge of the sump so that the gravity drip works.
I was talking to someone today about it on FB and found one that works although not as cheap as other would do what I’ve been looking for.

KStatefan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I was talking to someone today about it on FB and found one that works although not as cheap as other would do what I’ve been looking for.

How is the Deltec different from the Avast? The outlet still needs to be above the sump for gravitity flow.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score

Ooooo the price tag on that.

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
If you want something pressurized, your best bet is a kalk reactor that has a sealed lid, like from Geo or MRC. I do not know of any Kalk stirrers that have a sealed lid.
I have and old Fishbowl Innovations Kalk stirrer with a magnetic stir bar that is sealed. Just got to get the acrylic seam to stop leaking. Lol.

Would you be shocked by today's reefing hobby if you had just returned after a long period of time?

• Yes (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 137 57.8%
  • No

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 63 26.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors