Pump for saltwater mixing station

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating on how elaborate to make my saltwater mixing station (until now, bucket and submersible pump).

What size pump (brand) do you use?

Just looking for other ideas. Thank you

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the danner Mag Drive pumps. In general AC pumps will be more durable and last longer and because a mixing station is remote noise is no issue. The Mag Drives have a 5 year warranty and easily last a decade or more in most cases. They are some of the most durable pumps in harsh environments like a mixing vats. I also like that they can be internal as most other durable AC pumps like Iwakis and Bluelines are external only. I feel an internal pump just makes things simpler.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Danner mag drive too actually! They can ask be used “in line” (?). Is that external use? How do you use yours? Example of how you have yours set up please?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 2 gallon dispenser (Found in some stores near the kitchenware isles) with a spigot on the bottom. There is a hydor korallia pump that just keeps the water moving and when I need saltwater I just grab a container and dispense some into it.

In your case, maybe consider something larger in scale as needed for the setup in your home. :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of people using water pumps for mixing, I use a powerhead, does it matter?

Technically no, poweheads will require far more maintenance than a pump though, especially something like a Mag drive. Been mixing salt for 4 years now with my mag 7 and haven't cleaned it once... probably should though lol

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Danner mag drive too actually! They can ask be used “in line” (?). Is that external use? How do you use yours? Example of how you have yours set up please?
I use mine externally to mix water in my mixing station. I also use 2 of them on my main system to feed my DT from basement sump. Oh, and I also have one that feeds my skimmer. I‘m a fan as you can tell.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘m a fan as you can tell.

Cheap, low maintenance, lasts FOREVER. Really I don't see a reason why everyone doesn't love these pumps in atleast some way. Yeah they are a little hungry when it comes to power consumption and they put out a little more heat than others. But those are small trade offs for the durability and longevity they provide.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply drop the mag drive to the bottom of a brute with a hose and python hook on the other end. I did this for years working at an LFS and I still do it at home.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply drop the mag drive to the bottom of a brute with a hose and python hook on the other end. I did this for years working at an LFS and I still do it at home.
That’s basically what I have done (do), I'm debating on going more elaborate. Just a little.

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap, low maintenance, lasts FOREVER. Really I don't see a reason why everyone doesn't love these pumps in atleast some way. Yeah they are a little hungry when it comes to power consumption and they put out a little more heat than others. But those are small trade offs for the durability and longevity they provide.

I use a lot of danner mag pumps, but FWIW I have had the volutes get worn by the impeller. I also have one as my return now and it seems to need a shake to start it up when I've shut down for cleaning. I've noticed that on other pumps I've used. I'll have to unscrew the cover, pull the impeller, clean it, it usually isn't really that dirty and replace it to get it to spin. I usually use mag 2 through 7.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much saltwater do you want to make at one time or store?
Something similar to attached (from a video on you tube). But simpler I don’t have room for 2 containers. So I basically am planning on 1 saltwater bin, but with a mag drive plumbed externally, so I can both circulate (mix) saltwater and pump to tank as needed using 1 Mag drive pump (Used externally?) without having to move or disconnect anything (except the hose to run to tank and store in closet with saltwater bin). Hope that all made sense.

30F777A0-672B-45E1-924E-262E6CE1DE53.png

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danner mag18 with the sponge prefilter, 44gal brute. Prefilter does a great job keeping the reef crystal crud to a minimum.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something similar to attached (from a video on you tube). But simpler I don’t have room for 2 containers. So I basically am planning on 1 saltwater bin, but with a mag drive plumbed externally, so I can both circulate (mix) saltwater and pump to tank as needed using 1 Mag drive pump (Used externally?) without having to move or disconnect anything (except the hose to run to tank and store in closet with saltwater bin). Hope that all made sense.

For my station I use the same pump used for my DT. This way I have a spare ready that does more than just sit in a box.

43B5B2A6-4099-4616-8E0A-A5CFBB75F288.jpeg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@dreamcatcherr9 your design totally makes sense. I use one container as well, and understand using the pump for two things. How much head will you need from the pump?

I like the PanWorld pumps and I know a lot of folks like the Danner

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dreamcatcherr9 your design totally makes sense. I use one container as well, and understand using the pump for two things. How much head will you need from the pump?

I like the PanWorld pumps and I know a lot of folks like the Danner
That’s exactly what I need to figure out, appropriately sized pump. I have a 1200 Danner. Didn’t know if that was good enough.

it will be less than 25ft distance with tubing to tank during water changes.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a danner 9.5 for the application similar to post #14 above. If yours is the mag drive 12, that pumps 1200 gph, you are good to go. This assumes the 25 ft. of piping is all not straight up. The mag drive 12 will push water up a floor or so, but not 25 ft high. It’s all about the height above the source water. That‘s the head reference earlier.

Back