OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a danner 9.5 for the application similar to post #14 above. If yours is the mag drive 12, that pumps 1200 gph, you are good to go. This assumes the 25 ft. of piping is all not straight up. The mag drive 12 will push water up a floor or so, but not 25 ft high. It’s all about the height above the source water. That‘s the head reference earlier.
Thank you!!! That helps. 25ft horizontal. Maybe 6ft vertical, that’s just up to top of display (but I guess I can pump new water back into sump, basically removing all vertical height?)?

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. To try not to start a new thread; if you read this, can I ask:

For installing Uniseal (bulkheads) into plastic containers (brute trash can, etc)....how?

What tool do you use to drill hole? Do you drill per standard bulkhead drilling sizes?

iko2thdk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on how remote your mixing station is from your dt. If the replacement saltwater has to climb from the basement to another floor you will need a fairly robust pump. Since I only use the pump for mixing seawater and then refilling my dt, I have also plugged my pump into a remote outlet, that way I can refill my dt while watching the replacement seawater fill the sump. These outlets are available on Amazon or homecenters. I use a pan world 150ps with 28' of head pressure. It mixes my fresh seawater then pumps it from my basement. Hope this helps...

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard hole bit in reverse. Sharp knife to go larger if needed.
I don’t have drill bits (tank was custom and pre drilled). I have a small power drill for house hold stuff, not much power behind it.

Could I Just cut with razor blade / scissors? Push pvc pipe through for sizing, clean up (sand) rough edges, then uniseal, then pvc pipe?

Better suggestions?

Rip3618

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad this thread popped up because I’m setting up a basic mixing station. I need two submersible pumps. One to pump from fresh RO/DI Brute 44 into a second mixing Brute 44. Another to pump from mixing Brute 44 into my aquarium. I won’t be doing any elaborate plumbing, just pumps in each can with hoses attached to pump out water of each can. All RO/DI and mixing will be done next to the tank. Sorry to hijack your thread, dreamcatcherr9

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad this thread popped up because I’m setting up a basic mixing station. I need two submersible pumps. One to pump from fresh RO/DI Brute 44 into a second mixing Brute 44. Another to pump from mixing Brute 44 into my aquarium. I won’t be doing any elaborate plumbing, just pumps in each can with hoses attached to pump out water of each can. All RO/DI and mixing will be done next to the tank. Sorry to hijack your thread, dreamcatcherr9
Why don’t you just use one container to collect rodi and mix into saltwater? If you’re going to use a submersible pump that can double for mixing up the salt.

Rip3618

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you just use one container to collect rodi and mix into saltwater? If you’re going to use a submersible pump that can double for mixing up the salt.

I’ll be keeping RO/DI Water on hand in the first container for my ATO. Am I over thinking this?

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To share. My ATO only 10 g. If I have to pump to fill anyways, I might as well pump direct from RODI. I considered second container for RODI water only in garage (completely separate), but then what the point, still needs to be pumped back to saltwater bucket.

@mike550 that is exactly what I am going for. 1 bucket (in closet) to mix RODI water and salt, then pump back to display tank as needed during water changes.

I got 50 ft RODI line rolled up, I just take to where it needs to go (ATO or mixing container) as needed. Thanks everyone. Glad this helped more people!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To share. My ATO only 10 g. If I have to pump to fill anyways, I might as well pump direct from RODI. I considered second container for RODI water only in garage (completely separate), but then what the point, still needs to be pumped back to saltwater bucket.

@mike550 that is exactly what I am going for. 1 bucket (in closet) to mix RODI water and salt, then pump back to display tank as needed during water changes.

I got 50 ft RODI line rolled up, I just take to where it needs to go (ATO or mixing container) as needed. Thanks everyone. Glad this helped more people!
So I have a 120G and do weekly water changes with one Brute. While I’m making RODI I take out anywhere between 3-5G and store that in separate jugs. I use this to top off my 5G rodi ATO container and keep a couple of gallons just in case. I then make 20G of saltwater and change 15G. This leaves me with an extra 5G that I hold in a 5G jug.

At the end of the week any unused rodi goes back into the Brute and I start making rodi. I reduce the amount of rodi I need by any saltwater I might have left from the week before.

This sounds much more complicated than it really is.

calanprc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large tank so normally do 60-70gallon changes .

I use a 1/2hp sump pump attached to a garden hose . Water change takes about 5-10min
HI, what brand of sump do you use? I'm looking for a 1/2 hp utility sump that will not rust.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a Pan world 100PX on my mixing station. It's a reliable workhorse.

20230211_135749.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back