Pump leaking - BOYU EF-45

Kexmonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings. Totally new on this forum. Me and my friend is in dire need of help.

We bought a 720l. tank (190 gallons) with a BOYU EF-45 pump used on Norway's Craigslist equivavlent. The guy I bought it from was so nervous about meeting guys onlline that we had more trouble actually empyting the tank and moving it, so I didn't really get a chance to ask about the pump.

To get the pump actually pumping water we need to fill the reservoir ~90% full with water, and then fill the intake pipe so full that we can get a siphon-effect going. The problem is that after 1-3 minutes of operation, the pump starts leaking from the seal between the top and the reservoir with the filter, see the picture when I hold the top of the pump. When we turn the pump off, it still keeps siphoning water.

We figured out pretty quickly that there is a plastic latch on the in/outtake module that has broken off. From looking underneath the lid of the pump, we've figured out that the latch needs to be in a half closed/45 degree position to be "open", and allow water to flow. See the close up picture of the inlet and outlet hose module. The way it seems to me, the area of inlet and outlet seems to be the same whichever angle the latch of set to.

When we start the pump, it siphons water fine, for a couple minutes as mentioned before. Then it starts leaking. There must be a divergence between water going into the pump and water coming out. The area of the inlet is the same as for the outlet - they are part of the same platic piece. I don't know if this is a defective pump of if we are doing something wrong when starting it up. Right now it won't work, but I want to get some advice as to what might be the issue here before I leave a leaking pump for a 190 gallon tank in the 6 story building i live in for extended periods of time.

NB. I don't have any pictures of the pump when its actually leaking. When the leak happens, there's trickles of water all around the edge/seal where the top (where the pump is) connect to the bottom (where the filter is).

20200514_043646.jpg 20200514_043821.jpg 20200514_043725.jpg 20200514_043810.jpg 20200514_043655.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!!

1) try adding some Vaseline around the seal
2) try to buy a new seal
3) buy a brand new canister filter

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back