Pump sizing for 65gal mixed reef

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm planning a 65gal mixed reef tank. It's a JBJ 65. gal AIO (ok, I'll post pictures when I get started!). The display portion has a footprint of 36x15.4 and a volume of 48 gal. The remainder is the sump portion at the back. I'm planning which pumps to get. Right now, I want either a

Tunze 6040
or
Tunze 6055

My dilemma is that they are expensive and I don't want to do it wrong and have to buy again...

So, by water volume, it's a 65 gal tank but effectively it's a 48 I think. It has a pair of pumps that are 396 gal / hr each. This will really just filter the water not move the reef.

The more I write, I think the Tunze 6040 should be enough but I don't want to undersize the pumps and not have enough power.

Any thoughts?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 6055 on a smaller tank (32 gallon display) and have it running pretty low. I think either will five you enough turnover but depending upon the aquascape and type of live stock you may need another pump to eliminate any dead spots. On mine I have the 1 tunze and the return pump And it has been sufficient. I am using on a mixed reef of mostly LPS corals.

OP
OP
Turkey head

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so they really can be tuned down a lot. I was planning on putting one on each side of the tank. If I had to get something else to stir any dead spots that wouldn’t be a problem. I could get an inexpensive AC pump to take care of dead spots. A pair of 6055 might be best because they should give more than enough flow but can be tuned down if it’s too much.

OP
OP
Turkey head

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my mind. I decided to call BRS about the pumps. I decided I liked the form of the 6040 and the 6055 were out of stock. They said two 6040 would be plenty for this tank. So I bought the 6040s. They have plenty of power to move water in this tank. Right now they are not quite at 50% each (alternating on / off). I’m completely happy with the power they provide for a 36in tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back