Pump Suggestion

Adalius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,
I have a Red Sea 650 Peninsula tank, I have the VCA random flow on the return (being pushed by a COR 20 @ 95% because anything over 95% creates a siphon on the nozzle, even with the drop offset installed), and at the far end of the tank I have two MP40s cranked all the way up but running various modes throughout the day. I still seem to be getting some dead spots on the overflow end in the corners, and lower down on each side of the rockwork.

I'd love to put some other small pumps on the overflow end, but the problem I have is that when I installed the tank I put it close to the wall not thinking too hard about things, so I only have about an inch between the glass and the drywall, meaning I can't fit the magnet mounts for any of the larger pumps. The glass on the long sides is 3/4 but I believe the ends are only 1/2".

MP10's are only rated for 3/8" glass but the dry side is > 1" thick either way so it won't fit. I've looked at a couple MaxSpect Gyre pumps which appear like the dry side will fit but I've heard mixed reviews on them.

Does anybody have any suggestions (or different positive opinions on the MaxSpect Gyre)? Thanks!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,
I have a Red Sea 650 Peninsula tank, I have the VCA random flow on the return (being pushed by a COR 20 @ 95% because anything over 95% creates a siphon on the nozzle, even with the drop offset installed), and at the far end of the tank I have two MP40s cranked all the way up but running various modes throughout the day. I still seem to be getting some dead spots on the overflow end in the corners, and lower down on each side of the rockwork.

I'd love to put some other small pumps on the overflow end, but the problem I have is that when I installed the tank I put it close to the wall not thinking too hard about things, so I only have about an inch between the glass and the drywall, meaning I can't fit the magnet mounts for any of the larger pumps. The glass on the long sides is 3/4 but I believe the ends are only 1/2".

MP10's are only rated for 3/8" glass but the dry side is > 1" thick either way so it won't fit. I've looked at a couple MaxSpect Gyre pumps which appear like the dry side will fit but I've heard mixed reviews on them.

Does anybody have any suggestions (or different positive opinions on the MaxSpect Gyre)? Thanks!
I went with 2 IceCap 4k gyres. Work great. Easy to turn/adjust. Their bluetooth option works better for me than wifi app setup. Also turns out they are easy to clean. Just take them off and soak in citric acid (I don't use vinegar for pumps) pull off cover then pull off spinner. Color coded to put back on correctly (think hot/cold water, they use red/green... so close enough to red/blue like faucet <wink>) Also when doing water changes it is just so easy to unplug power so I do that instead of use app, then when replacement water in tank power gets replugged. Between pumps and control unit (control unit powers 1 or 2 pumps) it has threaded connections, so those are VERY securely attached.

Only negative to IceCap 4k gyre is control unit's LEDs are SUPER bright (I put black electrical tape over them after sure it was working okay). Its enough light to light up my sump. Nothing in sump at the moment but there had been some shrimp I was growing bigger before adding to DT.

OP
OP
Adalius

Adalius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 2 IceCap 4k gyres.
Do you have the thickness measurement on the dry side? I can't find that anywhere and like I mentioned I only have 1" between the glass and drywall so if its anything more than that, I can't fit it in there...
Only negative to IceCap 4k gyre is control unit's LEDs are SUPER bright
This wouldn't be a big problem for me since all my electrical gear is on the one side of the sump in the P650, the interior has that divider wall that keeps all the controller lighting from reaching the sump...

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the thickness measurement on the dry side? I can't find that anywhere and like I mentioned I only have 1" between the glass and drywall so if its anything more than that, I can't fit it in there...

This wouldn't be a big problem for me since all my electrical gear is on the one side of the sump in the P650, the interior has that divider wall that keeps all the controller lighting from reaching the sump...
The 'dry side' is only magnet, and magnet seems about 5/8" thick on my IceCap 4k gyres

OP
OP
Adalius

Adalius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I'm aware it's only the magnet, but most of the pictures seem to have them encased in plastic and generally just thick, so I wasn't sure without having any dimensions handy. :) But 5/8" should leave me plenty of room. I'll give them a shot.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I'm aware it's only the magnet, but most of the pictures seem to have them encased in plastic and generally just thick, so I wasn't sure without having any dimensions handy. :) But 5/8" should leave me plenty of room. I'll give them a shot.
picture might also be misleading as they come with 1) magnet 2) spacer (toss in trash BUT this might be what is confusing) then 3) wetside: another huge magnet, pump, two spinning things each with cover (gyre makers)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you can order just 1 with controller to try it out - then if you like it (probably will love it like I did), then order another 1 without controller (if you need/want 2nd gyre)

Back