Pump to Sump?

BradFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping somebody can tell me why this is a stupid idea -

I can't seem to find an example of a "pump to sump" kind of setup, with the premise of an overflow/weir getting display water through the plumbing and into the sump, the alternative to having holes below the water level - by default is a HOB overflow box with a continuous siphon.

Being brand new to the hobby, I've been wondering - in the same way that a return pump... returns, why doesn't there ever tend to be examples of a pump TO the sump, ok... sure gravity works / siphon works so why? Well just because... light brackets work so why hang? I just thought a bit of googling would show at least 1 or 2 tanks set up like this, but nothing, surely they're out there?

So that's the question really, is this even possible? Or there an inherent flaw to it that I'm missing?

To be honest it actually seems like a way to perfectly balance flow, by using identical pumps into and out of the sump, I can't think why this isn't a "done-thing", please set me straight on this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BradFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, flooding is why
Wait, I've got it, there's only so much water which can go through the overflow before the water level drops below it, no more overflow... but with a pump, you'll happily put 90g of water into a 20g sump - should the return pump fail.

Just a couple more minutes of thinking before writing this thread and it would have clicked lol.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The 2 pumps will never work perfectly together.
Even if you get them perfectly sync'd with valves, the flow on both will eventually go off and create a flood.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 pumps will never work perfectly together.
Even if you get them perfectly sync'd with valves, the flow on both will eventually go off and create a flood.
I'm about to throw my sdc 6.0 dc pump away it constantly ranges RPM you can hear it in the pump and the overflow change

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I've got it, there's only so much water which can go through the overflow before the water level drops below it, no more overflow... but with a pump, you'll happily put 90g of water into a 20g sump - should the return pump fail.

Just a couple more minutes of thinking before writing this thread and it would have clicked lol.
No its good to ask we can all picture it in our heads together and agree on it.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOL

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back