Pumps/Wavemakers? 29 gal standard Reef

Zalzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 29 gallon standard reef tank. Currently the only corals I have are a bunch of Kenya Tree Corals, and some little zoas that had hitchhiked on some live rock. Tanks been running for about 7 years but I never really put a lot of effort into making it really look nice. So recently I’ve been trying to put more effort (and money) into the tank to really make it appealing.

My main question is about water flow and using power heads/wave makers in the tank. I’ve always just had one power head angled slightly towards the top of the water on the opposite side of the tank from my HOB filter. I recently purchased a Jebao SLW-10 wave maker to use in the tank to try and achieve a better more natural looking flow for the corals (with the goal of getting more down the line). I also purchased the Aquamaxx HFM HOB filter/protein skimmer to upgrade my Aqueon HOB filter I’ve been using.

So when using the Wavemaker in a tank this size, should I have bought 2 of them to place on either side of the tank? I’m also not sure of what settings to use on the wavemaker, when I tried adjusting the speed on the W1 mode the trees seemed to get kind of flat/blown away.

A follow up question would be about finding the right position for the wavemaker? Like how high up? Should it be on the sides or the back of the tank?

Any insight or references would be greatly appreciated :) I’ve attached what the tank currently looks like, using my old power head/filter. (New Lighting is also on the way!)

(Also probably worth noting that I’m only using HOB filtration for this tank, not ready to commit to a sump or new tank just yet)

C74185D6-E741-43D7-AF8D-DB592385F79C.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your combined flow rate for any wavemakers (only) should be no more than 10-20x the tank volume, ie: 290-580 Gph. So you can certainly place more than one wavemaker - you just need to ensure that they’re either slow enough or you can adjust the flow accordingly.

Upvote 0
Back