Punch in the gut = uneven DIY cabinet *HELP*

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank copy.jpg
The lifted area is between the stand and one corner of the tank - if you look at the -picture above. To me there are 2 options - the tank is not 'square', or the stand is not 'square'. Another 'test' - add an inch of water to the tank -and see what happens. (Or more than an inch) - i.e. if its the tank - the water will push the tank down - and be level. If its something else - the water level will not be even front to back - or side to side.
Good catch on the pic. For some reason I thought that was Stand to floor.

One of those two mating surfaces has to be twisted.

Checking corner to corner with a straight edge (or level If you absolutely have to but those are usually not perfectly flat either) across both dimensions of the stand Will probably show that it was built with a twist into it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - meant to say thats a very nice stand.

I've looked into this a bit - and I believe that your tank corner will correct itself once the tank is full. you actually may do more harm than good by trying to stick something between the stand and the tank. It looks like its a branded aquarium - If I were you - assuming all of the things you've said about your stand and how its constructed - I would check with the manufacturer as to the 'tolerance' of that tank (which ? is a marineland?) - the best way to proceed. IMHO shimming below the stand - is not going to help - unless your stand itself has a gap between the floor and the corner. From my experience - it is not uncommon for tanks to be slightly out of square - like this.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a nice looking stand, as much as I hate to say it I would just break it down and re do it as you know how to build it etc you know the issue fix the low side and put it back together.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PPS - sorry - below is another thread from R2R - and there are numerous example - of this issue - and if the stand is level - and the tank is slightly 'off' - the solution is foam on the top of the stand - or fill the tank with water. There are numerous examples of this (where there is a 'perfectly level stand' - and one Corner that is 'off'. And the same discussion happens every time lol:). Just a hint - if it is a marineland aquarium - don't mention the fact that its a custom stand - or they will not (apparently) be helpful:

DopamineKata

Beltalowda
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add leveling feet to the bottom that will allow you to adjust it. They make heavy duty ones that can support a lot of weight and the more you add the more the weight gets spread around, though the harder it is to adjust them all for leveling.

I used a couple of packs of these when I built my big stand.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back