Gap between tank and stand on one corner!?!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this gap ok? It’s only on the back corner. Will it close up when water is added? Tank is level at this point.

C34498D2-66D6-46FF-8B85-8BE30FF3B2EA.jpeg

51BB42B4-E8D0-480B-A406-9ABCA2A591FC.jpeg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't Red Sea tanks come with a foam mat to go between the tank and stand? I would be slightly concerned. If you don't have the mat, look into a yoga mat or something similar to put between the tank and stand

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My .02, you shouldn't fill that tank without getting that stand a lot closer to level. Don't those stands have adjustable feet?

OP
OP
Twodogsnnc

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't Red Sea tanks come with a foam mat to go between the tank and stand? I would be slightly concerned. If you don't have the mat, look into a yoga mat or something similar to put between the tank and stand

The stand does have a mat on it.

My .02, you shouldn't fill that tank without getting that stand a lot closer to level. Don't those stands have adjustable feet?

Level on top of the tank is reading level both lengthwise and width wise. I can try raising the back corner adjustable foot, but that will likely throw everything else off.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another example of Chinese precision! Yes that is a little snarky. LOL not sure why you are having problems but I am not impressed with particle board for stands in saltwater applications.
I have seen several pictures like yours with Red Sea. Not sure of the cause. Are all your clips installed and locked in?

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a similar issue with my tank from Custom Aquariums. After discussing with their tank builders, we decided it was best to shim the plywood on the top of the stand a little to get it come into contact with the tank so that there wouldn't be any chance of the bottom pane of glass bowing under the weight of the water. So, that's what I did. So far, 6 months later, the tank is still full of water, lol.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long has it been like this? I think I remember reading someone else's build thread and they had a similar spacing issue between glass and stand mat but after leaving it alone a few hours the foam decomposed or something to make the gap disappear.

OP
OP
Twodogsnnc

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have leveled and releveled the tank several times. I can get the tank level but always have a gap on one or more corner. With no adjustments to the leveling feet the front and one side is a little low. When I adjust the feet to compensate for this it levels the tank but also raises the back corner at the same time. Are there any tricks to leveling with the leveling feet? I have been able to minimize the gap... a piece of paper or two, but always a gap despite being level. I also removed the tank and leveled the stand and then put the tank back... still small gaps.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be worth contacting Red Sea, because the actual tank is extremely heavy and I would have thought it would have compressed into the soft top on its own and not leave a gap like that. I remember the shear weight of the beast well!

I assume altering the feet hasn’t made any difference and I wonder if the tank has been put together slightly off and not square ?

If the gap doesn’t close when you add water and rocks etc., you could have a lot of strain on that corner so I would see what they say.

Tdukes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the final resolution to this? I just received a Red Sea Max S-650 and when I place it on the stand I get as much as 9/16" gap in the corner. The Top of the stand with the foam has a pretty big bow in it. I thought that with the weight of the aquarium in it that it would flatten out. However, it has not but then again its only been on it a few hours.

IMG_3028.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the final resolution to this? I just received a Red Sea Max S-650 and when I place it on the stand I get as much as 9/16" gap in the corner. The Top of the stand with the foam has a pretty big bow in it. I thought that with the weight of the aquarium in it that it would flatten out. However, it has not but then again its only been on it a few hours.

IMG_3028.jpg

9/16th is way too much. That sounds like a stand leveling issue!

Tdukes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9/16th is way too much. That sounds like a stand leveling issue!
The stand is level you can actually see the bow in the top composite piece. There is a visual gap between the aluminum cross members in the top of the stand and the composite top in the center of the stand. I welcome any suggestions. I currently only have the 4 corner feet touching the ground supporting the stand. The others are all retracted so that the corners could be leveled first.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the stand and tank is level, one corner should not have a gap. I would not fill it until the issue is resolved. If one corner has a gap, the weight of the water will make that corner go down. Twisting the bottom causing the glass to crack or cause a leak.

Tdukes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update this in case someone else runs into this situation. The following is the response I received from Red Sea after submitting pictures and measurements:

"Thank you for contacting us, and sorry for your concern for your new aquarium set up.

This is actually normal to see sometimes due to the way the aquarium and cabinet is packaged. The foam will be compressed in different areas due to the placement inside the crate for storage/shipping, and the board will even out once screwed into place onto the top of the cabinet. When you fill this aquarium with rocks, sand and eventually water - you will see the foam compress evenly supporting the weight of the aquarium. The edges and the corners will also become flush with the aquarium once filled and weight is applied."

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back