Purging Air from Calcium Reactor

andrewb70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a newly setup Reef Octopus Calcreact150 as per Youtube Videos and looking for some ways to purge the air from the system as there is a lot of whooshing noise.

Looking at other Reef2Reef threads I have not turned on the CO2 as yet and all valves (apart from CO2 recirculating) are fully open.

Reactor is being Fed from a Return Pump Tee.

Varios2 Recirc pump is set to full

CO2 Recirculating Valve is fully closed.

Top of the Reactor is about a metre above the sump in a cabinet. Sump is remote from the tank

Effluent line is about 1.5mtrs long into the sump with no needle valve installed.

I can see air bubbles under the upper filter pad but no amount of banging on the side of the reactor appears to move them.

I have Caribsea Arm Extra Large Media

Should I just let it run like this for 24 hours or more ?

Some guidance would be very much appreciated.

Regard, Andrew

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a newly setup Reef Octopus Calcreact150 as per Youtube Videos and looking for some ways to purge the air from the system as there is a lot of whooshing noise.

Looking at other Reef2Reef threads I have not turned on the CO2 as yet and all valves (apart from CO2 recirculating) are fully open.

Reactor is being Fed from a Return Pump Tee.

Varios2 Recirc pump is set to full

CO2 Recirculating Valve is fully closed.

Top of the Reactor is about a metre above the sump in a cabinet. Sump is remote from the tank

Effluent line is about 1.5mtrs long into the sump with no needle valve installed.

I can see air bubbles under the upper filter pad but no amount of banging on the side of the reactor appears to move them.

I have Caribsea Arm Extra Large Media

Should I just let it run like this for 24 hours or more ?

Some guidance would be very much appreciated.

Regard, Andrew

Hello Andrew!

Sorry to hear you’re having troubles. This is usually a minor inconvenience. Please make sure to check all of your connections and seals because you might be sucking in air .
Please review this video starting at 8:14 . If this doesn’t help then again check all of your connections closely. :)

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure your using new tubing if any so its not old. also use either plastic hose clamps or the metal ones to go around those tunes to ensure a tight fit. I have air in the top of my reactor under the lid but was told on a new setup it will eventually work itself out.

OP
OP
A

andrewb70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys thanks for your replies. Been a few hours now and I have opened the CO2 recirc valve to about 10% and not getting any more whooshing!

I have a valve installed on the water input to the pump which I am using to restrict the flow into the reactor from the T off the return pump the effluent mls out is 45 and have 1 bubble of CO2 per 5 seconds.

In The absence of a peri pump is this the best way to do it as I fear having a needle valve on the effluent line will in time clog
thanks

Andrew

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys thanks for your replies. Been a few hours now and I have opened the CO2 recirc valve to about 10% and not getting any more whooshing!

I have a valve installed on the water input to the pump which I am using to restrict the flow into the reactor from the T off the return pump the effluent mls out is 45 and have 1 bubble of CO2 per 5 seconds.

In The absence of a peri pump is this the best way to do it as I fear having a needle valve on the effluent line will in time clog
thanks

Andrew
Send me a pm and I can share a good video with u

OP
OP
A

andrewb70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Andrew!

Sorry to hear you’re having troubles. This is usually a minor inconvenience. Please make sure to check all of your connections and seals because you might be sucking in air .
Please review this video starting at 8:14 . If this doesn’t help then again check all of your connections closely. :)

thanks it was helpful

do you recommend having the CO2 recirculating valve fully open, partially open or closed for normal operation

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks it was helpful

do you recommend having the CO2 recirculating valve fully open, partially open or closed for normal operation

Fully Open :)

It’s better to lower the speed of the pump then to throttle it back with the gateway. That’s the reason why we put the variable speed pump on it.

OP
OP
A

andrewb70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi if I do that I just get the air inside recirculating round and round creating a lot of noise.

I have no CO2 on at this time and the pump at its lowest speed

i need to work out how to purge the air inside as its driving me nuts

thanks

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi if I do that I just get the air inside recirculating round and round creating a lot of noise.

I have no CO2 on at this time and the pump at its lowest speed

i need to work out how to purge the air inside as its driving me nuts

thanks

To purge the air, you'll have to bleed off from the top, and at that point partially close the valve. That will create the pressure that will push the air or excess CO2 from within the chamber.

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry, the water valve for the recirculation pump. The more you close that, the more pressure creates to push the excess CO2 or air out of the main chamber. You will have to open up one of the quick connect valves at the top to allow the excess CO2 or air to bleed out.

OP
OP
A

andrewb70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael - OK I believe I have fixed the issue. I opened all valves fully for a few minutes, Next I closed the Effluent outlet valve half way, the CO2 recirc still fully open and the pump feed valve half way - this obviously created some pressure inside the reactor which purged the air. I now have the pump running at full power with only the odd CO2 bubble fizzing through. Your help was much appreciated. Andrew

OP
OP
A

andrewb70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK still having build up of CO2/Air in the reactor and finding it difficult to get Effluent dKH to anything above 20. What I have been doing is pushing water from the sump into the reactor with the Kamoer. So I have now shifted that to pulling (as per Coravlue Youtube Vid) which it does very well - however the water level in the reactor only gets to the height of the outlet and no higher even after 5 hours of pumping 120ml per minute via Kamoer. I thought the Varios2 pump would offer some priming capability and create some pressure inside the reactor - I was wrong. The Reactor inlet on the pump is about 20 inches above the sump water line see pic. So I guess 2 options left to feed reactor - 1. T off the return pump pipe. 2. Feed with MaxiJet 1200 or better - I feel there is a need to create some pressure in the reactor - thoughts ?

Attachments

• InkedReactor_LI.jpg
    InkedReactor_LI.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 76

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK still having build up of CO2/Air in the reactor and finding it difficult to get Effluent dKH to anything above 20. What I have been doing is pushing water from the sump into the reactor with the Kamoer. So I have now shifted that to pulling (as per Coravlue Youtube Vid) which it does very well - however the water level in the reactor only gets to the height of the outlet and no higher even after 5 hours of pumping 120ml per minute via Kamoer. I thought the Varios2 pump would offer some priming capability and create some pressure inside the reactor - I was wrong. The Reactor inlet on the pump is about 20 inches above the sump water line see pic. So I guess 2 options left to feed reactor - 1. T off the return pump pipe. 2. Feed with MaxiJet 1200 or better - I feel there is a need to create some pressure in the reactor - thoughts ?

My thoughts are to send this further up the chain to the Experts. I’m sure they can give you more information than I can at this point.
Please head over to www.coralvue.com/support and submit a ticket. Likewise, you can email us directly at [email protected]. One of the reps will be able to help you efficiently. Thank you!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back